PDA

View Full Version : Must have in RAC 2010....

Jun Austria
2009-02-16, 05:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy9ZIqVE-jQ

dpasa
2009-02-16, 08:43 AM
Well you can wish for 2011, Revit (as some users believe) get's Acad's features one release later

patricks
2009-02-16, 12:57 PM
I think it's pretty much safe to say that our office would NEVER use that feature.

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-16, 02:18 PM
That, thats pretty cool. Ive got to get in to playing with AutoCAD again...

STHRevit
2009-02-16, 03:15 PM
Have to agree with patricks.

As an outsource documentation firm the freeform modelling means very little to us and would probably never really be used as 99% of teh design is completed before we touch the model. Besides if you buy the suite, you get autocad anyway, so no real need for it to be placed in Revit.

david.metcalf
2009-02-16, 04:20 PM
I agree on that point. However, I would strongly recommend Autodesk allow native import/linking of such free forms into Revit as there is no need to bloat up the software with tools most folks would not use. Most of us have some seats of AutoCAD and upgrading to 2010 AutoCAD will be all we need to do to have these tools. Only a subset group of designers need to use modeling features presented in the videos. If we can import them into Revit and utilize wall faces tools to duplicate the forms in Revit for CD's I'll be happy.

dpasa
2009-02-16, 07:48 PM
That, thats pretty cool. Ive got to get in to playing with AutoCAD again...

My thoughts exactly... but I have such a long time to use Acad that I will be a newbie again!

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-16, 11:33 PM
Nah... Cuz ill be using it differently. No more drafting, layouts, blah blah blah. i just want to model some badassery,and export!! :)

Jun Austria
2009-02-17, 12:21 AM
Nah... Cuz ill be using it differently. No more drafting, layouts, blah blah blah. i just want to model some badassery,and export!! :)

Hehehe. Same here. Use to do that kind of stuff in Max. But with accuracy in AutoCAD, its a good supplement to Revit for organic modelling.

AP23
2009-02-17, 09:33 AM
I would love to have these features in Revit. Frankly, I think it’s a must for every AEC software package. Even if you’re doing traditional orthogonal buildings, you still need organic modelling tools for column details, furniture, site work, pluming fixtures. It doesn’t justifies the cost of Revit if you have to do the placeholder workaround method by modelling geometry in other software and then importing this dump geometry in Revit that after all bugs down your system.

SupremeTaco
2009-02-17, 05:05 PM
Hehehe. Same here. Use to do that kind of stuff in Max. But with accuracy in AutoCAD, its a good supplement to Revit for organic modelling.

What most people don't realize is that Max CAN be used to model accurately. There are many different ways to model something in Max, and the vast majority of people don't do things the "cleanest" way. Working in the game industry it was imperative to have "clean" models (not 1/16" accurate, but clean...), or your model couldn't go into the game engine.

Right now the project I'm modeling could NOT be modeled in Revit to the level of detail that we need. It's not the easiest practice to learn, but you can put a huge level of detail into a model in a very short amount of time, PLUS have the added benefits of producing renders right from within that program.

I would love to see Revit be able to use models from 3ds Max! (what's the point of the .fbx if it can't go both ways??)

Sorry, I guess you could call me a bit of a 3ds Max fanboy :p

nsinha73
2009-02-17, 05:08 PM

Why would we need that in Revit?

SupremeTaco
2009-02-17, 05:17 PM
Why would we need that in Revit?

Haven't you ever needed to model say, a specific bathtub? or faucet? or sofa? Maybe even a wall that is tilted on multiple axis that attaches to more than one multi-sloped roof? Maybe most projects don't need it, but when you have a project that revolves around that stuff (complex geometry in the structure, not just sofas heh), you'd like your multi-thousand dollar software to do it.

mark.98140
2009-02-18, 01:41 PM
i for one would LOVE to have 3ds import in Revit....there are literally thousands of models out there that could be used in revit... content that simply does not exist at present... sure you can argue it can be modeled in revit (in some cases), but this is the real world and we don't all have time to always do everything, especially when it already exists... i love rendering in revit, and although it is slow, it is a one stop shop, which is the ultimate for us architects... but i so often look enviously at places like turbo squid and the vast array of furniture, cars, poeple, trees, etc.. if only... pls autodesk!!!

sjsl
2009-02-18, 03:34 PM
2010 Release will allow complex organic geometry's so no need to use Max for modelling in Revit.

Gene Herring
2009-02-18, 06:23 PM
2010 Release will allow complex organic geometry's so no need to use Max for modelling in Revit.

I would hope this would create the "engine" for more complex site modeling capabilities. We have for years stressed about the lack of site modeling capabilities. Fingers crossed!

vgonzales
2009-02-18, 06:43 PM

This feature reminds of a modeling software program called Hexagon. It is a very affordable ($150) Freeform sub-division modeling program from DAZ3D.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/hexagon/inaction?_m=d

nsinha73
2009-02-18, 11:44 PM
Haven't you ever needed to model say, a specific bathtub? or faucet? or sofa? Maybe even a wall that is tilted on multiple axis that attaches to more than one multi-sloped roof? Maybe most projects don't need it, but when you have a project that revolves around that stuff (complex geometry in the structure, not just sofas heh), you'd like your multi-thousand dollar software to do it.

I guess you are right to a certain extent....but "With Great Powerful Software, comes greater frustration and learning curve" :-D

Heck, I have enough trouble explaining simple stuff to guys in my office....what would happen if Extensive Features are unleashed in Revit2010?!!

davidcobi
2009-02-18, 11:49 PM
Heck, I have enough trouble explaining simple stuff to guys in my office....what would happen if Extensive Features are unleashed in Revit2010?!!

Rather than train for all the new features you might want to pick and choose what features to train for based on your offices needs and only train a few on the more advanced features if necessary. Every new release requires some retraining.

cganiere
2009-03-04, 11:17 PM
Free form design is fun, but is rarely used in day to day work (outside of design departments).
I saw a demo if the new massing tools for RAC 2010.
Cool!8)

Scott D Davis
2009-03-04, 11:51 PM
Free form design is fun, but is rarely used in day to day work (outside of design departments).
I saw a demo if the new massing tools for RAC 2010.
Cool!8)

It does do Freeform very well....which means regular forms are even easier. You can use the new conceptual design tools for regular and irregular forms just as easily.