PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Splitter TEE

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-16, 05:39 PM
Looking for help with creating/finding a splitter tee for duct. If anyone has any information about this please post it here. I will start the process of learning how to make my own.

Thanks

buzz
2009-02-16, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't the Reducing Bullhead Tee work for you (it is one of the OOTB fittings)?

-Buzz

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-17, 10:16 PM
It might if I could get it to work.

Yesterday, I crashed the software to the point that I had to unistall and reinstall today. There are so many different possiblilties with this part and I kept increasing the number in the limit search to find the part that I needed. The total listed for the reducing bullhead tee is 1,369,631,640. In any event my computer will not process that many parts, and I kept crashing everytime I selected any fitting. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I am a newbie at AutoCAD MEP.See attached drawing.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

System: Microsoft Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Computer: Intel® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.20 GHz 3.19 GHz, 3.00 GB of Ram

buzz
2009-02-17, 10:52 PM
Oh wow, don't do it that way. Go over to the Part Filter Tab and select the sizes you want.

(see screenshot)

You can also just insert the tee and then change the size of it instead of trying to search for the exact size in the pull down.

-Buzz

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-17, 11:27 PM
It won't let me pick the sizes I need.

"Unable to create the desired partin the size needed: Part size validation failed"

what now

buzz
2009-02-17, 11:28 PM
What size are you trying to pick?

-Buzz

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-17, 11:48 PM
I have a main 36"Wx22"H headed into the bullhead. Reduces to 14"Wx22"H elbow to the left and 28"Wx22"H to the right.

We call these splitter TEEs, this one is a 10-26 split.

bradg
2009-02-18, 03:02 PM
Sorry to butt in, but is one of these something like you're looking for? (see screenshot)

If one of those is what you're looking for, I'll explain how to get them (2 and 3 use a custom part I made that I'll post), if not, would you mind posting a line drawing of what you're trying to create?

-Brad

buzz
2009-02-18, 03:55 PM
Strange,

Mine seems to work fine with those sizes...

Try setting the widths first, then set the height afterward.

(I am on MEP 09)

-Buzz

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-19, 04:27 PM
Strange,

Mine seems to work fine with those sizes...

Try setting the widths first, then set the height afterward.

(I am on MEP 09)

-Buzz

Buzz, thanks for the help. I finally got the part to work. I had to switch the numbers around for the part builder to create the part and then when I dropped it into the location I needed it connected up. Strange that the part I wanted would not build in the order that I needed. I needed a part that had an incoming width of 36" (RW3) that splits (10-26) into left direction with outlet size of 14" (RW1) and to the right 28" (RW2). AutoCAD MEP would not build that part but it would build a flip version with (RW1) 28" and (RW2) 14". Anyway I appreciate your patience with me on this matter. I have learned alot trying to get this part to work.

Mike

MikeM4OSU
2009-02-19, 04:33 PM
Sorry to butt in, but is one of these something like you're looking for? (see screenshot)

If one of those is what you're looking for, I'll explain how to get them (2 and 3 use a custom part I made that I'll post), if not, would you mind posting a line drawing of what you're trying to create?

-Brad

Brad, thanks for the input. I like version 3 with a modification (if possible), I would like the elbows to line up on one side. This is how I think the part is built (but Icould be wrong). See my earlier post "Reducing TEE.dwg". Please post your custom part. or send it to me, I would also need some help loading it in the correct location so that I have access to it in all my projects. I am trying to learn all the ins and outs of this software, but it is very time consuming.

Thanks again
Mike
AMEP 2009 SP2
Windows XP SP3
mikem@ceitulsa.com

ricker
2009-07-19, 12:58 PM
Brad,
I'm interested to know how you made parts 2 & 3. I need to make one similar with one duct turning up instead of horizontal.

Chris

bradg
2009-07-20, 12:57 PM
Hey Chris,

I'll be happy to explain how I made the part for 2 and 3, although I'm kind of busy at the moment. Do you have any experience with the Parametric Part Builder?

ricker
2009-07-20, 08:08 PM
Thanks for responding. I have poked around winth it and edited a few parameters for some of the canned duct fittings. I have not created anything from scratch yet.

bradg
2009-07-20, 09:22 PM
Hey Chris,

Rather than take the time to explain how to make the part, I'll just go ahead and post it. I'm honestly not sure how to install it; I think if you just take the two files in the .zip folder and put them into "...\Catalogs\Duct\Rectangular\Splits" AMEP should detect them automatically (upon reloading) (you may need to make the 'Splits' folder inside 'Rectangular). If this doesn't work, hopefully someone else can step up and explain

As far as using the part goes, I've found that it works best to do this process:

Say I want to take a 20x10" duct and split it into 12x10" and 8x10" ducts:
1) Draw the 20x10" duct up to where you want to place the split
2) On the Tool Palette, select Add Duct Fitting and find the Rectangular Duct Split
3) Before setting any sizes, click on the end connector (DCON) of the 20x10" duct; you should notice in the Part Filter tab that the Connection Width and Height (RW1 and RH1) will be locked to 20x10"
4) Set the remaining variable (RW2) to 12" and press Enter, accepting 0.00 for the rotation angle.
**IMPORTANT: It is crucial that you don't try to click to add the part, as in my experience, it wants to set the rotation angle to 90 degrees whenever you click. You need to make sure you either enter "0" for the rotation angle, or press Enter to accept the default value of 0.00**

You'll notice you now have 2 connections at the end of your duct, one 12" and one 8". If the 12" connection is on the wrong side, then just select the part, and change the 12" entry to 8". The part basically works by making one connection the width you specify, and the other connection's width is automatically determined based on the part's overall width. If you want to make a duct similar to the one shown in #3 earlier, just use the same part and add transitions afterward that are flat on left/right accordingly.

The part is only about 1/32" wide, so you may have to zoom in quite a bit to select it.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you need any help, or want to know how it was created,
-Brad

ricker
2009-07-20, 10:15 PM
Simple and sweet. Works like a champ. This will solve a lot of fitting combo issues that I find lacking in the parts provided with AMEP. Thanks!

ricker
2011-07-06, 05:59 PM
I have made a new version of this to have the overall width be equal to the sum of the two splits.

ricker
2011-07-06, 06:01 PM
Has anyone made one of these for Revit?