PDA

View Full Version : Reivt Desktop Icon - Missing

cdsuggs
2009-02-18, 06:05 PM
greetings,

So far this Vista 64bit evalution is quite underwhelming... but I won't drone on too bad.

I have AutoCAD and Revit Arch 2009 installed, then downloaded Acrobat 9 for this mug. After I deleted the Acrobat icons from my desktop I got some error about a shared file or some such that I blew past and.... ta-da... my ACAD and Revit icons are blank. I know "read the messages"... I typically do; for reals.

Right click > Properties > Sortcut > Change Icon and gives this message

"windows cannot find the file %systemroot%\installer\[D246620-7348-blah blah blah\Production_Building.ico"

A search of the system registry shows the KEY is still in place however the folder is indeed missing from the C:\Windows\Installer folder.

Any ideas on getting these restored? I suppose I could search for JPGs on the web and manually connect them, but what a drag.

thanks for reading,
chris

bcgatti
2009-02-18, 06:42 PM
Do Revit and AutoCAD run using the Start > All Programs method?

I've seen something like this happen before when the user did not have adequate permissions on the Vista computer. Couldn't see the folder or map items to a system folder.

cdsuggs
2009-02-18, 06:49 PM
Do Revit and AutoCAD run using the Start > All Programs method?

I've seen something like this happen before when the user did not have adequate permissions on the Vista computer. Couldn't see the folder or map items to a system folder.

Yep, the apps run fine from the desktop and All Programs. Just blank icons.

Upon further investigation, I am missing other icons too. Friggin Adobe pulled a jack-move on my rig. I'm on the phone with tech support now.

I'll be sure to post my findings.

cdsuggs
2009-02-18, 07:01 PM
so Adobe was no help.. "our software would never delete anything unrelated".. sure guys

Shooting in the dark I went to Programs and Features (formerly Add/Remove Programs) and ran a repair on apps... for the most part this seems to resolve the issue by recreating the appropriate files and folders within the windows\installer folder.

I apologize this is not much of a Revit issue.