PDA

View Full Version : How to copy specific family types from one project to another?

patricks
2009-02-18, 07:11 PM
I recently worked on a historic renovation project where I took a window family that had a type catalog associated with it, loaded one type, then made several new types that better suited that project.

Now we're working on another building adjacent to that project, with the same windows. Is my only option to get those windows into the new project to copy a wall containing the windows and then paste that wall somewhere in the new project? Or is there another way to get those specific family types into my new project?

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-18, 07:21 PM
You can also Save them out to a Group, then load the group in. I imagine you still have to put them in a wall, but the nice thing is then on subsequent jobs you can just "Load file as group" and get the windows all in.

But, if youve got the project open, just hit edit family from inside the project. The *version* that it opens will have all the types in it, then just use load in to project to get it in to the new project.

I use the first version, since i keep most of my content as groups stored together, for easy loading and catagorizing...

Scott Womack
2009-02-18, 10:13 PM
Now we're working on another building adjacent to that project, with the same windows. Is my only option to get those windows into the new project to copy a wall containing the windows and then paste that wall somewhere in the new project? Or is there another way to get those specific family types into my new project?

Find the family in the browser of the project you modified it in, and right-click on the family name, which will allow you to save the family to file, then you can load it into your other project, as well as saving it for all future projects.