PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning Wall Thickness

trevor.klassen
2009-02-19, 12:34 AM
Hey there,

I am just getting into Revit Structure 2009. I have be using AutoCAD previously. I hope that my question is something really simple.

Can I dimension the thickness of a wall (say 8" thick concrete wall) on plan easily? I've been trying to do it, but the dimensioning tool only recognizes the whole wall, and not each face.

Thanks
Trev

kathy71046
2009-02-19, 02:11 AM
You need to select individual references, rather than the dimension whole wall option.

christo4robin
2009-02-19, 03:17 AM
Famously useful Revit feature - when hovering over a wall, your dimension snap is likely finding "center of core". Use the tab key while hovering over the wall to find the other faces, intersections between layers (in a complex wall buildup), etc.

Remember the tab key... (imagine loud, reverberant voice of Yoda...)

jeffh
2009-02-19, 03:31 AM
When in the dimensioning tool look at the options bar. There you can specify to perfer faces, core face, or centers of walls.

kingjosiah
2009-02-19, 06:29 AM
So the moral of the story is.....look at the options bar!

I live and die by the hallowed tab key and have used it just as the others described. But i have never thought to look at the options bar....never knew about the 'entire wall' option. Thanks for pointing that out Katika.

As many times as i have chided acad users for not looking at the command line options, you'd think i'd know better. Funny though -- guess i won't have to worry about the options bar much longer with the new ribbon gui in RAC2010.

- Jon

p.s. enjoyed watching you on Dream Home, Christopher. Too bad all the good shows are no longer on HGTV anymore....

greg.mcdowell
2009-02-19, 04:43 PM
options bar is the new command line... always keep your eye on it

trevor.klassen
2009-02-19, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone.....its all coming together.