PDA

View Full Version : Gridline display in linked views

mbachelor
2009-02-19, 12:42 AM
I'm working in Revit Architecture 2009 and have a site file set up with links to my two separate building files. In this master site file I have all my needed views for the project set up with reference to my building files -- i.e. with display settings set to "by linked view". For whatever reason, in each master file view, Revit does not match the 2D extents of my gridlines as they are in the building files, although these gridlines show up as part of that linked view. Instead, Revit is deciding the 2D extents of my gridlines in the master file based on the crop reason and I am unable to adjust them. This is a graphical problem in my wall sections where the gridlines end up extending too far in the master file. Has anyone figured out a way to deal with this? Masking regions don't cover the gridlines.

Scott Womack
2009-02-19, 11:05 AM
You need to utilize the Copy/Monitor tools, to copy monior the grids from all three buildings. This creates a copy of the gridlines from your individual buildings, and then you can drag/set the limits of the gridlines in your site file independantly of the individual files, while still controlling numberings, and locations from within the individual files. That is the way Autodesk designed the workflow for linked files/grids because of the MEP and Structural products.

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-19, 01:18 PM
You can CM them, as Scott mentioned, but be careful to plan out your workflow if thats what you do.

For instance:

Lets assume you have File 1, and File 2. File 2 is linked in to File 1. If you have objects in that linked view, dimensioned to grids INSIDE File 2, and then you hide File 2's grids after CMing them in to File 1, your dimensions will disappear. Because theyre not tied to the elements in File 1, theyre tied to the elements in File 2.

With linked views, the crop regions of the views in the main file still trump those of the linked files. It takes a little getting used to, but youre better off just adjusting the crop regions... Unless you want all of your annotations in the Linked View EXCEPT what touches grids, then that has to be in the main file... And that gets old REAL fast.

Ask me how i know, LOL...

mbachelor
2009-02-19, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm. I guess I realized this issue with levels and had planned for it there, but had overlooked that Revit does something similar with grids. Copying the grids to my main file isn't really an option, since my dimensions are in my other file, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

mrypdahl
2009-03-05, 04:49 PM
On one of our projects we're having an issue where the grid lines and bubbles are not responding to the crop so the grid lines are extending off the sheet. We do not won't to Copy/Monitor the grids but just reference the architects grids in the views. Is there an override that I am not seeing. Our other projects are working fine.

Thanks!