PDA

View Full Version : Inclined Reference Plane - 3D extents

benmay
2009-02-19, 04:58 AM
If you have a flat reference plane you can take sections in 2 directions and limit the 3D extents to keep your model clean.

Is there a way to do the same for an inclined reference plane which you can only ever view in one direction?

The only solution I have found so far is to draw it flat and fix the extents then rotate to suit

On a large project I would just use scope box's to contain them

Anyone have another tatic?

sfaust
2009-02-19, 02:57 PM
sure, go to the view you can see it in, then cut a section perpendicular to the reference plane, and you'll get the other direction and you can adjust the extents.

However, the fact that you are having to do that begs the question, what does it matter? If it's never going to show up in any views in the second direction...

benmay
2009-02-19, 09:29 PM
Either I didn’t explain the question enough or I am missing something.

See the attached image 1, if you draw a reference plane like this in section by default it will extend the reference plane depth to your 3D model extents.

You can’t take a section that isn’t vertical so you can’t make one perpendicular to this reference plane. Which means you can’t adjust the 3D depth of the reference plane after it is created

That means if I take any section in the model parallel to the view it was created in I will see the reference plane

Andre Carvalho
2009-02-19, 10:42 PM
Either I didn’t explain the question enough or I am missing something.

See the attached image 1, if you draw a reference plane like this in section by default it will extend the reference plane depth to your 3D model extents.

You can’t take a section that isn’t vertical so you can’t make one perpendicular to this reference plane. Which means you can’t adjust the 3D depth of the reference plane after it is created

That means if I take any section in the model parallel to the view it was created in I will see the reference plane

Yes you can. When creating the section, to be able to create it perpendicular to the reference plane select Detail section instead of Building section from the drop down menu. Creating it perpendicular to the reference plane will allow you to change the reference planes extents.

Andre Carvalho

sfaust
2009-02-19, 10:42 PM
Sorry, should have added that it needs to be a detail section, not a building or wall section. Details don't have to be vertical like the others do...

sfaust
2009-02-19, 10:43 PM
what's the chances of that, after an hour we post an answer at the same minute! :)

Andre Carvalho
2009-02-19, 11:00 PM
what's the chances of that, after an hour we post an answer at the same minute! :)

Yeah, Steve, let's take note of the numbers 05 42 and play the lottery!:)

Andre Carvalho

sfaust
2009-02-20, 12:13 AM
Well, it's 03 42 on mine, which to use? :)

Andre Carvalho
2009-02-20, 02:42 AM
Well, it's 03 42 on mine, which to use? :)

LOL. Different time zones...
OK, I think I prefer mine, so its 5:42 and it is time to go home. Yours means two more hours to work... :mrgreen:

Andre Carvalho

sfaust
2009-02-20, 04:23 PM
hm, you're RIGHT! I think I like yours better too :)

benmay
2009-02-23, 01:35 AM
Great, I knew it would be as obvious as that