PDA

View Full Version : Schedule fields/parameters

charliep
2009-02-19, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to create a schedule which has custom families which are not showing as I would like on the schedule.

I have a custom library with sub folders the same as the Metric Library. The families I have created have info for which I created parameters; eg. Product code, Fixings, etc. These parameters do not show on the schedule.

So how do I get these parameters for these families to show on the schedule?

arqt49
2009-02-19, 02:19 PM
You must use shared parameters.
When you created those custom parameters in the families, you should have read in the parameter properties window:

o Family parameter
(Cannot appear in schedules or tags)

It was there all the time ;)

dimitri
2009-03-25, 07:22 PM
*Bump*

So i ended up doing the same thing as Charlie, but now i need values from the parameters i setup in the familes to populate in schedules. However, i can't seem to retroactively go and set the parameter to being shared and have the values pop up on the schedule. It shows up as a heading on the schedule, but no values are put in the cells. Any help??!!

greg.mcdowell
2009-03-25, 07:41 PM
If I'm reading you right, sounds like you'll need to remove the project parameters already in place and recreate them as the shared parameters in addition to swapping them out in the family.

dimitri
2009-03-25, 08:13 PM
If I'm reading you right, sounds like you'll need to remove the project parameters already in place and recreate them as the shared parameters in addition to swapping them out in the family.
I'll give that a shot. One thing: How do i remove project parameters already in place? I think i can figure how to do the other part of your suggestion.

greg.mcdowell
2009-03-25, 08:25 PM
under Settings>Project Parameters select and Remove

this is also where you'd add them back as shared parameters

dimitri
2009-03-25, 09:05 PM
under Settings>Project Parameters select and Remove

this is also where you'd add them back as shared parameters
Cool thanks.

Kinda works, in theory. But i still lose all the instance values i created in the project itself when i load the family parameters into the project.....
They go back to being the values from the loaded generic family.
So i think i have to start over :(

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-25, 09:28 PM
Yeah, you DO lose all the instance values when you recreate the parameter as a Shared Parameter.

I made a datum marker that was used with instance parameters to procure coordinates for a shape that was made as *random* in Revit... And i forgot to use shared parameters. After taking a few hours to snap all the datums to the random points, i had to recreate the parameters as shared, and watch all the objects revert back to the original locations.

Talk about a mistake you only make once!

dimitri
2009-03-25, 09:31 PM
Yeah, you DO lose all the instance values when you recreate the parameter as a Shared Parameter.

I made a datum marker that was used with instance parameters to procure coordinates for a shape that was made as *random* in Revit... And i forgot to use shared parameters. After taking a few hours to snap all the datums to the random points, i had to recreate the parameters as shared, and watch all the objects revert back to the original locations.

Talk about a mistake you only make once!
OUCH!

Do i ever know what you mean though! I can't believe i have to go back and change everything again. :(
At least it shouldn't take me as long cuz now i'm higher up on the learning curve!

Thanks for the help guys.

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-25, 09:49 PM
Oh, there were a LOT of them to reset.

http://malleristicrevitation.blogspot.com/2007/05/revit-random-and-different-platforms.html

Everyone of those red lines in the attachment was a pair of instanced coordinates i had to re-align, after i changed the parameters, LOL...

dimitri
2009-03-25, 09:54 PM
Oh, there were a LOT of them to reset.

http://malleristicrevitation.blogspot.com/2007/05/revit-random-and-different-platforms.html

Everyone of those red lines in the attachment was a pair of instanced coordinates i had to re-align, after i changed the parameters, LOL...
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Quit i would have! :o

arqt49
2009-03-25, 10:50 PM
Kinda works, in theory. But i still lose all the instance values i created in the project itself when i load the family parameters into the project.....

Not really! Instead of removing and adding that parameter, you can substitute it.
Editing the family, goto Family Types..., then select the parameter that you want to convert to shared and click Modify.... Now select a shared parameter in the dialog. It can even have a different name (type must remain the same: length, text,etc).
Once you load that changes into the project, that parameter is available for schedules, etc,
More, it has the old parameter values for existing types.
Just hope this advice comes in time.

arqt49
2009-03-25, 11:00 PM
Not really! Instead of removing and adding that parameter, you can substitute it.
Editing the family, goto Family Types..., then select the parameter that you want to convert to shared and click Modify.... Now select a shared parameter in the dialog. It can even have a different name (type must remain the same: length, text,etc).
Once you load that changes into the project, that parameter is available for schedules, etc,
More, it has the old parameter values for existing types.
Just hope this advice comes in time.

Just forget about it. You were right and I was thinking about type parameters.
You guys were talking about instance parameters, and those are lost.

dimitri
2009-04-07, 09:37 PM
I think you were on the right track in theory. You are able to select the categories you created as shared parameters, when creating a new schedule. BUT they don't populate with any values.... :(

mthurnauer
2009-04-08, 03:09 AM
Your coordinate problem has peeked my interest. It seems that you could have gone to Tools menu>Shared Coordinates>Specify Coordinates at a Point and set what the 0,0 should be. I have encountered a similar issue where there are survey coordinates and building coordinates. It seems to me that the best solution is to put your building grid into the survey to create a building layout plan and provide survey coordinates to benchmark your building grid. from there you have established the overall building location and can then use a building coordinate system related to the grid. A surveyor can easily translate this.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-08, 01:36 PM
Im not sure who that post is addressed to, but the Specify/Report coordinates at a point WAS something we considered. It wasnt viable for a few reasons though.

The entire project was already modeled on a specific coordinate system, and all trades were modeling on it. We werent keen on repositioning coordinates, especially considering they were using that data for grading in the field. Plus, they wanted it off the structural grids, since that was essentially what they were going to be laying it out based on, when they went to construct.

Plus, having this setup in our drawings made modifications a breeze, once it was set up. Just wish i had remembered to use Shared Param's when i first did it. But i was a noob. :)