PDA

View Full Version : egg-crate ceiling

cliff collins
2009-02-19, 03:50 PM
We are designing an "egg-crate" ceiling, which has an overall grid of 2'x2',
and an 8" x 8" insert with 3 rows each way to fill in the 2 x 2 pattern. See attached
images.

It has no "pads" like a normal ACT ceiling, just the grids.

Revit's standard ACT ceilings can be modified to remove the "pad", but the grids
are not 3D elements, and are really just model lines. So this doesn't work.

We have tried using a sloped glazing roof curtainwall, which actually works well--
except when we get to the edges of the ceiling where the perimeter shape is a series of arcs and curves. The curtainwall then errors out and cannot create the curtain panels
at the curved edges and "omits" them.

We have also looked at USG's Revit templates for custom ceilings--but these do not
work the way we would like them to.

We could obviously create a custom generic model or family, but getting it to "flex"
in a curved plan footprint would be very difficult.

We would like to use a real "ceiling" which will easily adjust to the plan shape, and
remain parametric, which is why we are using the sloped glazing system which takes advantage of curtainwall's powerful editing abilities.

Has anyone successfully created an "egg crate ceiling" like this? and if so, how?

cheers.........................

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-19, 03:56 PM
Ive done it with a curtain system placed by face on a mass.

BUT, it gives you fits if everyone of those lines is a curtain grid, is that how you did it? When i did mine, i made the actual 2x2 the curtain grid. The 8"x8" divisions i made as a curtain panel.

But looking back, i think the perimeter panels were flat ACT's. I dont believe itll let you use custom panels in cases like that. In any event, thats how id do it, even though the curves/mullions are fussy...

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-19, 03:57 PM
Also, FWIW id only be doing this if you need it for rendering. And even then, id have it as a placeholder with a regular ceiling and a surface pattern ready to swap in and out. Its a lot of processing overhead just to see through the ceiling...