PDA

View Full Version : Trasnparent Topography in Section/Elevations

Tom Weir
2004-10-19, 05:38 PM
I am doing structural foundation work on a new chapel we are designing. It's on a steep site and the foundation must be in the native soil. I did my first topography in Revit and was delighted that the topography automatically cuts in any section I have produced.

In the 3D view I was able to make the Topo surface transparent so I can see the footings in the dirt. ( I have the Site-Earth material 50% transparent for the shading value). But in the sections and elevations I am not having as much luck in setting transparency.

I want to either have the topo surface show tranparent in the section/elevation so I can see the footings beyond, or to just show the topo surface line. Can I do it?

Thanks and have a great day.......

Tom Weir

SkiSouth
2004-10-19, 06:33 PM
Tom, topo should show in section. If hatch pattern is too strong you can change it under Settings, Site settings, section cut material. You can also change the hatch color here from the default black to a grey to lighten the hatch further.

I thought you could send the topo hatch pattern to display behind the foundation, but I couldn't do it. There's probably a way to do it with the "pad", but I can't experiment right now.

Also, if you are attempting a "rendered section", once in your 3d view, select View from the top pull downs, Orient, Orient to other views, then select the section you want to render. You now will have a section with your transparent materials showing. Rename the 3d view you've now created to be more descriptive of what you have.

Tom Weir
2004-10-19, 07:21 PM
It definately shows in section, but as you have noted, It blocks the view of the foundation. This is for my Construction Document set and I have to see the foundations.
I guess I can trace over the topo surface line in the section view with detail lines, and then turn off the topo. But I was hoping to avoid that extra work.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

SkiSouth
2004-10-19, 08:48 PM
Yeah, maybe on the 25th you get your solution..

christo4robin
2004-10-19, 10:30 PM
My method in sections and elevations is to...

1. Turn off the visibility of the topo in the view.
2. Use linework to select all the foundation lines and set them to hidden -or- use detail lines (with pick and lock) and select the foundation lines.
3. Turn topo on again and your lines will display.