PDA

View Full Version : Phases question

rrothwel
2009-02-20, 03:52 PM
Our office in RAC 09 are doing a reno job. We have phases, exist. 1, 2, and 3. When we add a door to a wall in phase 3 it adds the infill into the existing wall on all levels. Why and or how can we add doors/windows in phase 3 without the demo infill being created and shown in phases before we even touch that part of the building? Does this make sense?

mmates
2009-02-20, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the elementary questions, but are your views set up properly? Is the existing view's Phase set to Existing and the Phase Filter set to Show New. Are you definitely creating the door in a view with the Phase set to 3? I have RAC 2009 and in my experience the Existing view's display is fine. If I move over the area where the door is added later, then the infill highlights and is selectable. I can see this is weird, but the normal display is fine???

I'm not sure what you mean by
...it adds the infill into the existing wall on all levels. do you mean all level 1 view's or do you mean levels 1 - 3, etc.?

Hope this helps

rrothwel
2009-02-20, 05:12 PM
hard question to verbalize.

The view is set to Existing, Show New, and fine. What I was asking though, why does the infill for the demo show at all much less in existing, when the door IS added in phase 3. The door's properties show phase 3.. If this is a just deal with it thing, I can let it go but users are trying to select multiple objects and this little piece of what is calling it self "wall" is in the mix and interferes, they have several of the new doors on existing walls

It is hard to explain in words I guess. Why would phase 3 have any changes on the existing phase, or any previous phase for that matter?

mmates
2009-02-20, 05:16 PM
I understand... but in my experience, the phase 3 door's infill does not display in the existing view... but it is selectable. Is this what you experience?

rrothwel
2009-02-20, 05:23 PM
that's exactly it! I am not rying to be picky, just wondering why anyhing phase 3 shows up in existing, like you said it is selectable and the cut is made. The users are doing a massive global edit and those little pieces are getting caught up. They cannot be filtered because they are walls. Oh well, we just want everything too easy don't we?

Thanks MMATES
Robert

mmates
2009-02-20, 05:43 PM
I hear ya. I guess this is working as designed... the help even alludes to it:

Infill Elements for Earlier Phases
If you place an insert into a host in a phase later than the host's creation phase, Revit Architecture creates an infill element for earlier phases.

For example, you create a roof in Phase 1. You add a skylight to the roof in Phase 2. You look at the roof and skylight in a 3D view. If you set the 3D view's phase to Phase 1, an infill element replaces the skylight. You can view this infill element in a section view.

Scott Womack
2009-02-23, 11:21 AM
Phases are a GRAPHIC overriding of the objects. IT is not a true phisical change to the wall (as it can be in design options). An existing wall is the same wall in both the existing phase, and the new phase. The existing potion of it is juat a graphic override being applied to the wall. That is why you cannot demo a portion of the wall's construction, such as a crick veneer.