PDA

View Full Version : setting up multi-pole receptacles

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 02:27 PM
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but I'm basically starting from scratch here with minimal training...

We're trying to set up 208V receptacles. Single phase (2 pole) and three phase (3 pole). When we set up the new receptacle family, we can set the number of poles but when we circuit it to a panel is still shows up as a 120V receptacle.

What are we doing wrong?

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 06:50 PM
Take a look at the family Junction Boxes - Load that comes with Revit. You have to make sure all of the parameters are mapped. So in that family click on the connector and go to element properties. Where you see number of poles there is a little button to map that to a parameter. Same with voltage. Then you have to create different types and in the family types dialog set what you want for voltage and no of ploes. That should get you headed in the right direction. Reverse engineer it.
HTH

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 07:08 PM
Thanks... we kinda got that far... but how do you change the Voltage, Apparent Load and Number of Poles? Those fields are grayed out.

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 07:31 PM
They are controled in the family type. Click on family type and scroll down to the electrical category there is voltage, PF, No. of poles and load. Match you family type name to the poles.

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 07:42 PM
They are controled in the family type. Click on family type and scroll down to the electrical category there is voltage, PF, No. of poles and load. Match you family type name to the poles.

How do you edit that information? I can get to it, but it's grayed out.

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 08:24 PM
Make sure the parameters are instance parameters. Click on the parameter in the family types and hit modify and make them type.

If that does not help post your family and I will help get you the rest of the way!

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 08:56 PM
Make sure the parameters are instance parameters. Click on the parameter in the family types and hit modify and make them type.

If that does not help post your family and I will help get you the rest of the way!

Ok... I'm in the Parameter Properties... Parameter Data...

Name: Voltage
Group Parameter under: Electrical (???)

Your statement above is confusing... should "Instance" or "Type" be selected (currently "Type" is selected)? What is the difference?

Under the Parameter Type, should "Family parameter" or "Shared Parameter" be selected? What is the difference?

Thanks!

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 09:44 PM
Ok... I'm in the Parameter Properties... Parameter Data...

Name: Voltage
Group Parameter under: Electrical (???)

Your statement above is confusing... should "Instance" or "Type" be selected (currently "Type" is selected)? What is the difference?

Under the Parameter Type, should "Family parameter" or "Shared Parameter" be selected? What is the difference?

Thanks!

Group does not really matter other than that is where it will show up in the properties dialog box.
Change "type" to to "instance" then it should not be greyed out in the family type dialog.
"Family parameter" can not be scheduled. So if you want to be able to schedule the information you will want to make it a "shared parameter"

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 09:46 PM
Thanks,

I think we're getting there... slowly...

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 09:48 PM
It's very complex and if you have one thing wrong it can take hours to fix it. Been there done that.

ifurqueron
2009-02-25, 10:44 PM
It's very complex and if you have one thing wrong it can take hours to fix it. Been there done that.

...and then you get pulled off on to something else and forget half of what you just learned... At least that seems to be my problem...

I suppose what really bugs me is that NEMA receptacles are a US Standard... something that should just be part of the base program...