PDA

View Full Version : family will not delete, or purge

mmiles
2009-02-26, 04:17 PM
I have a corrupted Door family - to which I've added the suffix "SNAFU". I no longer know what is the deal with it....but when trying to execute a purge of all unused items, this family causes the action to stop: issuing a warning that an non-editable family will be deleted (if I make it editable). So - that's what I want: to delete it. However, Revit will not respond to my click on the "make element editable" toggle button. I can only "Cancel".

I've opened the family, audited, purged unused, even delete elements (though not all) and tried to reload into project - thinking if I can uncorrupt it, it will become editable so that I can delete it. But, I get the same warning when trying to reload the family (that a non editable family will be deleted).

It's downright maddening! Any thoughts? TIA

Mike Sealander
2009-02-26, 04:24 PM
I had this happen a while back. Are there families nested in your bad family?

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-26, 04:38 PM
Ive had it happen with Families, and with Groups.

Ive never found a resolution, and ive had to leave the **** in the file. Send it off to support...

Teresa.Martin
2009-02-26, 04:50 PM
I have a corrupted Door family - to which I've added the suffix "SNAFU". I no longer know what is the deal with it....but when trying to execute a purge of all unused items, this family causes the action to stop: issuing a warning that an non-editable family will be deleted (if I make it editable). So - that's what I want: to delete it. However, Revit will not respond to my click on the "make element editable" toggle button. I can only "Cancel".

I've opened the family, audited, purged unused, even delete elements (though not all) and tried to reload into project - thinking if I can uncorrupt it, it will become editable so that I can delete it. But, I get the same warning when trying to reload the family (that a non editable family will be deleted).

It's downright maddening! Any thoughts? TIA

Hi. I sounds like you are using worksharing. I would copy the central file to a new location, open it and then choose the "make this central file after saving" option. When you are in the central file, use purge. This is the only time you essentially "own" everything in the project.

Save the file, use compact and close the file.

Open it again, but choose audit. Then purge again though that may be uncessary. This should get rid of it. Basically you need to make a new central file and clean it. This should be done as regualar central file maintence once a week anyway. It goes without saying that you should do this after hours when no one else is in the file. People will have to make new local files after you create the new central file.

Best regards,

mmiles
2009-02-26, 05:41 PM
"This action has caused deletion of non-editable Workset ' Family : Doors : Door_ Elliptical Top w-sidelites_SNAFU '."

so far today I have spent 2.5 hours just trying to make my central file smaller. ARGH!

I found a window family with no name that I unchecked and purging worked. I assume the no-name family is realted to my SNAFU family.

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-26, 05:45 PM
Is this the same file we discussed last night? Worth mentioning, file size isnt always the direct correlation between slow performance. And sometimes causation and correlation go in the opposite directions, IE: Tons of warnings in the Review Warnings dialogue will slow a file down, and cause workset reconciliation issues, AND will make the file bloat. But the file isnt behaving badly BECAUSE its large, but because its messed up.

Why the hang up to make the file smaller?

Teresa.Martin
2009-02-26, 08:39 PM
"This action has caused deletion of non-editable Workset ' Family : Doors : Door_ Elliptical Top w-sidelites_SNAFU '."

so far today I have spent 2.5 hours just trying to make my central file smaller. ARGH!

I found a window family with no name that I unchecked and purging worked. I assume the no-name family is realted to my SNAFU family.

Did you try my suggestion(s)?