PDA

View Full Version : Radial Text Question

Denis01
2009-02-26, 10:20 PM
I'm designing an arched entry into a small city park and would like to depict some text that will be carved into the arch. I can't find a way to have the text curve to follow the curve of the arch, only straight-line (horizontal, vertical and angled).

I'm sure that this can be done, but I haven't found it yet. Is there a way? I've attached a file showing the arch (massing model) so you can get the picture.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Denis Dunderdale

saeborne
2009-02-26, 10:48 PM
I don't think you will like this answer, but I believe you need to use model text, to type out each letter individually, and then rotate into position.

Another method would require hopping through other applications:

Export the elevation at a given scale (let's say 1/2"), as an Adobe PDF file.
Open the PDF file in Adobe Illustrator
Create your text in Illustrator with text along a curved path
Export Illustrator to DWG format
Import DWG format into a family editor
"Trace" the cad file with a solid extrusion.
Scale up as necessary
Load into project

Ouch. That's gonna hurt.

Denis01
2009-02-26, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Saeborne. I was afraid that I was going to have to do something like that. Fortunately this place is named "Big Spring Park", and not too many letters.

Denis01
2009-02-26, 11:03 PM
I don't have "Illustrator". Do you know of a free, or low-cost substitute?

Thanks,
Denis

jeffh
2009-02-26, 11:15 PM
I don't have "Illustrator". Do you know of a free, or low-cost substitute?

Thanks,
Denis

You can try this.

http://www.inkscape.org/download/

Denis01
2009-02-27, 02:41 AM
Jeff, Thank you very much. It's downloading now. I'll give it a try.

edifeli
2009-03-12, 09:33 PM
I think is is a "simpler" way to achieve the same thing, you need to create "single letter model text" and re-host it to the face of the wall or object where you want the text to be attached to. Then you need to use the radial array to have your text fallow the desired curvature. (adjust the array length to make sure your text fit exactly where you need it and don't forget to provide an extra letter for the space between the words.

it is a lot simpler than what it sounds, let me know if it helps

Edison.

SCShell
2009-03-13, 03:08 PM
I think is is a "simpler" way to achieve the same thing, you need to create "single letter model text" and re-host it to the face of the wall or object where you want the text to be attached to. Then you need to use the radial array to have your text fallow the desired curvature. (adjust the array length to make sure your text fit exactly where you need it and don't forget to provide an extra letter for the space between the words.

it is a lot simpler than what it sounds, let me know if it helps

Edison.
Hey there,
Very creative method!
Steve

Denis01
2009-03-13, 10:34 PM
Thanks, edifeli, I'll give that a try. I did accomplish what I needed using the method that Saeborne suggested. it was a bit of a pain but it got the point across. If this project goes further, I'll play with the radial array.

Thanks all,
Denis