PDA

View Full Version : Roof Ridge Problems!

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 06:09 PM
I am a new user to Revit and am taking some tutorials from Revit 5. It is the Town hall tutorial if anyone is familiar with it. I am on Revit 6.1. I have just finished conceptual massing in the tutorial and am generating a roof. The ridge of my roof does center itself between the two walls I have picked to determine the slope. Is there a command that tells Revit where to locate the ridge of the roof? Any input would be appreciated.

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-20, 06:18 PM
Check the slope values for each roof sketch line...sounds like one is different from the others?

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 06:20 PM
I have checked slope values and wall heights. All check out fine. I can't figure out this problem.

LRaiz
2004-10-20, 06:40 PM
The ridge of my roof does center itself between the two walls I have picked to determine the slope. Is there a command that tells Revit where to locate the ridge of the roof? Any input would be appreciated.
I am confused by the problem description. If slopes and heights are the same then roof ridge must be centered without any additional command. Your post seems to indicate that roof behaves as desired. What is the problem?

patricks
2004-10-20, 07:05 PM
I am confused by the problem description. If slopes and heights are the same then roof ridge must be centered without any additional command. Your post seems to indicate that roof behaves as desired. What is the problem?

Perhaps he made a typo and meant to say it DOESN'T center.

I have experienced problems with a roof ridge being just slighly off center, even though I had the same amount of overhang set on both sides and had the same slope set. I believe my problem came from the fact that I had walls of differing thicknesses on each side. I don't think I've really found a solution yet, and usally end up just drawing the larger scale roof/wall detail as it should be w/ drafting lines and filled regions.

Now if the ridge is grossly off center even though slopes are set equally, then I have no idea there.

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 07:36 PM

The roof is acting like I told it to NOT center the ridge. The roof appears as if there is a clerestory window on one side of the roof. One side of the roof is shorter than the other creating a vertical void in the roof and really there is no ridge because the two roof planes do not actually meet.

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 07:39 PM

If there is a way to email or send my file to you so you can see it, I will do so. I would really appreciate some help with this problem; the "help" menu offers no solutions that I can find.

aaronrumple
2004-10-20, 07:53 PM
You can post here...

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 08:05 PM
I have attached the Revit file in question.

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 09:34 PM
Can someone please take al ook at the file in question posted and offer any suggestions?

beegee
2004-10-20, 10:11 PM
I don't have the 5.1 tutorial to check, so is this what the roof is supposed to look like ?

If it is, this roof was created by firstly building a roof to pitch between the outermost eaves lines, then using the Roof Opening tool to cut out the two segments at each end, as shown in the sketch.

archjake
2004-10-20, 10:22 PM
Perhaps the roof tool has changed behavior between 5.1 & 6.1 It certainly does not act like I would want it to. Then again some roofs just act strange.

SkiSouth
2004-10-20, 11:05 PM
Can someone please take al ook at the file in question posted and offer any suggestions?

Per your request, a revised file with roof corrected. The vertical (mono pitch) roof was coming because you did not tell revit to put a slope on the edge you wanted. When using
slope arrows, be very careful that you have fully defined the slopes on all edges. If you can
not figure out the attached solution, just post your specific question.

m_r_meza
2004-10-20, 11:48 PM
I don't have the 5.1 tutorial to check, so is this what the roof is supposed to look like ?

If it is, this roof was created by firstly building a roof to pitch between the outermost eaves lines, then using the Roof Opening tool to cut out the two segments at each end, as shown in the sketch.

This is the solution I am lookig for. Can you please elaborate a little. I am not familiar with the "roof opening" tool.

Thanks

beegee
2004-10-21, 12:26 AM
This is the solution I am lookig for. Can you please elaborate a little. I am not familiar with the "roof opening" tool.

Thanks
Firstly sketch the roof as a rectangle with the slope defining lines at the outermost eaves and the dormer remaining as sketched with its own slope line.
Finish that roof and the ridge is now centrally located.
Under the modeling tab, select "Opening " and choose the option to cut perpendicular to the face. Select the roof and draw in plan a cut outline to define where the new eaves line starts at the indent. Finish and repeat for the other end.

HTH.

papurajx
2004-10-21, 12:52 AM
I have attached the Revit file in question.

Is this what you wanted to do?

jimtsakos
2004-10-21, 04:10 PM
is that what you want the shape of the roof ??

jimtsakos
2004-10-21, 04:17 PM
I have another way of roof shape if you this one or i post previous

m_r_meza
2004-10-21, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the help Beegee. I am new to Revit and am trying to learn. This gave me a great lesson in some new tools.

alpfra
2004-10-21, 06:30 PM
Is this??
I don't understand in all parts your question.

Regards

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-21, 07:36 PM
Good grief. OK: everyone jump in at once. Oh look - y'all did!

You all are way too helpful!