PDA

View Full Version : Display order of linked Files

winnwgomez
2009-03-01, 06:55 AM
I would like to see my structural link in coarse display, when i link it onto my architectural project file.

if i link in the structural file before the architectural file, i get the result i want. if i link the structural file after importing the architectural file, the results are not right.

I am attaching some test files this is the procedure i followed to create this error • Open final.rvt • Reload “Str Link” & “Arch Link” • Find 2 instances for “Str Link” • You will notice top “Str Link 1” is showing prefect, but not the one below. • Only difference between 2 instances of “Str Link” is top one linked before linking “Arch Link”

Could someone help??!

winn

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-01, 04:36 PM
Linked files Level of detail is view specpfic, not link specific. They can either take the properties of the Final files view (when theyre set to By Host View), or they can be set individually by View (when set to By Linked View, or Custom... under VG: RVT Link Overrides).

That said, the order you link them doesnt matter. If you want the structural file to always be in Coarse, set up a View template that only modifies the VG: RVT Link settings, to change the struct file to Coarse. Then apply it to every view in the Final file...

winnwgomez
2009-03-04, 09:38 AM
Thanks Aaron

But i'm noticing this behavior even if i follow your steps. Did you get a chance to try this out?

thanks again..

winn

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-04, 01:36 PM
I havent tried it with your specifi examples, but i use File Links religiously on a daily basis.

A file im working with today has 7 instances of the same link, and im manipulating the LOD of each instance with View Templates, without any issue.

I wont be able to DL your sample files until tonight, but im willing to bet large amounts of money it has something to do with view settings...

winnwgomez
2009-03-04, 02:12 PM
Dear Aaron

i did try it and will try it again now. But i still seem to have the issue. It would be great if you could have a look at it and see if something is wrong with it?

thanks again

winn

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-04, 03:03 PM
Winn-

I took a peek, and i now see what youre talking about. It isnt Level of detail, however... There DOES appear to be some favortism given with respect to which links are inserted first, in terms of which walls show up when there are geometries completely within one another, which is what its doing. Whichever linked file is present FIRST, it allows that wall to show "over the top" of the links that are placed over it later.

You CAN still control the LOD through the View templates... (Switching structural to coarse just turns it gray... here at least).

Im not sure why you have or want walls on top of walls, but the UNdesired result is actually normal behavior for linking files in. For instance, if i go IN to Arch link, and link in the STR Link file, all the walls cut patterns will NOT be shown, as the parents files walls cut patterns are shown.

The anomaly seems to be that when TWO files are linked, it has to pick which cut patterns reign. That also holds true for the two versions of the STR file. if you go in to VG: RVT link and override one of the STR links, youll see they behave

Aside from that issue, what exactly are you trying to achieve architecturally, aside from the graphical issue? Is that a structural portion of an architectural wall? Im not sure id want overlapping file links to rely on for a representation regardless... I would probably Copy monitor.

Hope this helps. :) Strange find!