PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ linked drawings

BomberAIA
2003-08-26, 11:54 AM
I am in the process of producing a townhouse project consisting of 3 building types and 4 unit types. The end units repeat in each building type. I assembled my buildings in 3 separate files and then I linked the 2 buildings into the first file. Then I duplicated the building plans and renamed them so I could make building plans on different sheets. If I make a change in any unit, I have to repeat the change in each repeated unit in its original file. I have to admit, xref works better in Acad. Now I want to blow up each unit to a 1/4" for my unit plans. How do I do this w/ linked files? Am I going about this wrong? Thanks

Martin P
2003-08-26, 12:41 PM
I am in the process of producing a townhouse project consisting of 3 building types and 4 unit types. The end units repeat in each building type. I assembled my buildings in 3 separate files and then I linked the 2 buildings into the first file. Then I duplicated the building plans and renamed them so I could make building plans on different sheets. If I make a change in any unit, I have to repeat the change in each repeated unit in its original file. I have to admit, xref works better in Acad. Now I want to blow up each unit to a 1/4" for my unit plans. How do I do this w/ linked files? Am I going about this wrong? Thanks

It sounds as though the end units would be better as saved groups, which probably wont work too well unfortunately, but I would give it a go, it might work. I dont follow what you mean about blowing them up do you simply mean you just want to change the scale?

BomberAIA
2003-08-26, 12:51 PM
I draw building plans at 1/8" scale and unit plans at 1/4". The unit plans have all the notes and info on them.

Steve_Stafford
2003-08-26, 12:54 PM
It is my understanding that linking of Revit models is NOT intended to function like the xref's we are accustomed to. They are intended to give you a way to assemble a "campus" on a site to provide site studies etc.

I don't believe you can annotate a linked project so unfortunately I think you've headed down a dark alley at this point.

I'd do a search for posts regarding linking and grouping, watch for Chris Zoogs posts on the subject. He's seems to be able to get common unit concepts to work for him using groups. Maybe Z can chime in here when he removes the shackles?