PDA

View Full Version : tracking design evolution

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-06, 06:04 PM
We are looking for a way to track design changes and ultimately revisions to a model. Is there a way to keep track of or archive the building as it changes throughout the design process? Thanks.

d.stairmand
2009-03-07, 12:32 AM
Ryan
We generally at the design stage, date mark all of our files, within there file names. this allows us to go back to an older version etc when needed. there is the option of putting all the unused stuff onto a design option that isn't used, but then the file size keeps increasing.

Mike Sealander
2009-03-07, 05:10 PM
We use the Save As method of tracking changes during design. Revision tracking lets you do letters or numbers; we use the letters during bid, and numbers during con ad. If there was a third choice for clouding during design, we'd probably think about that.

patricks
2009-03-09, 02:17 PM
At significant design stages, or after significant owner and/or architect revisions, we just save the file name to another folder and append a suffix to the file name like SD1, SD2, SD3, or DD1, DD2, CD1, CD2, etc. depending on the design stage we're in.

clog boy
2009-03-09, 03:07 PM
To add to your comfort, 'save as' also makes the file smaller.
If a project becomes too large, we usually save as template, start a new project based on that template, save the project, open with audit and then 'save as'. Will save up to 1/3rd according to our experience.

A 'file cleanup' like this can be applied when saving a 'frozen' backup copy for change tracking. Makes the file feel like reborn.

patricks
2009-03-09, 03:09 PM
hmm that's the first I've heard of using Save As a template file in that manner.

chris.macko125036
2009-03-09, 06:17 PM
Is that a significant size reduction compared to save as with "compact file" checked? That just seems like a lot of steps. I've seen file size drops in the neighborhood of 30-40% just doing that.

josh.made4worship
2009-03-09, 10:03 PM
I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well...I don't see how/why it would make a difference saving it out as a template...all the same data should be there right?...The compact file is how we handle file size.

clog boy
2009-03-10, 09:56 AM
It is a lot of steps, but sure worth it. The only explanation I can think of is that it gets rid of garbage. I do not know which step has the biggest difference. I should investigate.

EDIT:
Project saved as template: 42.824 MB
Project from template: 39.204 MB.
Audit and save-as: same filesize.
Compacted save-as: 39.254 MB.
Save as template: 39.254 MB.

I've performed the same operation on the same file about a month ago, when it was over 56MB.

I've hit save-as in a similar project, which caused a similar decrease in filesize. Why would I go through the process of save to template and start a new project from it? It has been known to solve a few bugs that way. I think trainers should propagate doing this in every new stage of a project.

I encourage you to try this for yourself, and post the results of described steps and save-as. Please post your results. This process may have less relative result for bigger projects.

patricks
2009-03-10, 02:04 PM
Can you post an example of a problem that doing this "template save" method seemed to fix?

clog boy
2009-03-10, 02:15 PM
Not at the moment. It usually involved issues resolved in WU1 and 2, along with a view gremlins in the graphical representation of the model and overall stability. The kind of quirks that would usually take half an hour to overcome otherwise. We did not take the time to document them.

There's no reason why you should trust me, but 'we know it works for us'. Give it a whirl if you're experiencing bugs.