PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Save to Central over a Wan

Scott Womack
2009-03-09, 12:37 PM
I'm having a WAN problem that I feel surely must have been seen by someone else, but I am having no luck addressing the situation

Here's the problem: I am sharing a Revit model with a partner firm. The central file is located on there server, which we can access by means of a ipSec VPN tunnel (and network acceleration from Riverbed' Steelhead appliances at both ends).

After we enable worksharing on a model and save it to the remote folder, "Save to Central" returns a "Path not Found" error. Saving and editing to that share with other applications (as well as simp[le saves with Revit) have no problem.

We've tried alll manner of different ways to express the file path, but we are still getting the error, and I'm having no luck finding a reason.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I'd appreciate any ideas.

clog boy
2009-03-09, 12:45 PM
That's bad, are the routers NAT-enabled? I'm sure all subnets are configured well, as you are able to visit the host server. Is there any way to map the destination folder as a network drive, open from there and then save local? If you manage to map that folder such way then you'll have your own 'backdoor'.
Sorry if this is not making any sense, my second profession is system/network administrator but VPN setups are beyond my scope of knowledge.

bbeck
2009-03-09, 06:00 PM
Not sure how much help I can give here but I'll take a crack.

We work across a WAN daily, however ours is a point-to-point connection with no need for a VPN. We also use steelheads to cache data. Is your VPN connection active during your STC? Locals need to see that UNC path back to CENTRAL. Just thought I would start with the obvious first.