PDA

View Full Version : Messages when inserting drafting views

patricks
2009-03-09, 09:37 PM
Just some questions about things that always seem to pop up when inserting drafting views from other projects. It brings up a box that lists things that are already in my project but are different, and some of those are things like Sun and Shadow settings. What the heck do sun and shadow settings have to do with drafting views??

Another thing that happens is a message in a box at the lower right will pop up after the views have been copied saying "Can't paste duplicate types. Only non duplicate types will be pasted", after which it seems that everything came in correctly. I don't see anything missing. So what was the point of that message?

Scott Womack
2009-03-10, 10:05 AM
Just some questions about things that always seem to pop up when inserting drafting views from other projects. It brings up a box that lists things that are already in my project but are different, and some of those are things like Sun and Shadow settings. What the heck do sun and shadow settings have to do with drafting views??

The only thing I can think of is that Sun and Shadow settings are stored in the project, and if you changed them in one project, when Revit reads that project, it is informing you in effect that they are different.

Another thing that happens is a message in a box at the lower right will pop up after the views have been copied saying "Can't paste duplicate types. Only non duplicate types will be pasted", after which it seems that everything came in correctly. I don't see anything missing. So what was the point of that message?

Look at the Detail Items in the Familiy sections. What it will do is create "Break1, through BreakX" because the instance parameters were changed for some of the Break symbols in one or more of the inserted views, versus a Break line that existed in the project you are inserting them into. Since we have an extensive set of custom 2D components, many based on the Line based family, all of these will have new versions of the family created, incrementing the family names.

patricks
2009-03-10, 01:43 PM
Look at the Detail Items in the Familiy sections. What it will do is create "Break1, through BreakX" because the instance parameters were changed for some of the Break symbols in one or more of the inserted views, versus a Break line that existed in the project you are inserting them into. Since we have an extensive set of custom 2D components, many based on the Line based family, all of these will have new versions of the family created, incrementing the family names.

Right, I know about it creating numbered versions of the same detail component. However, I often see this message come up even though the inserted drafting view doesn't contain any of these numbered duplicate families, and no extra families appear under detail components! That's what's baffling me, I don't see any evidence of any duplicates of anything created, yet the message still appears upon copying the drafting view.

Scott Womack
2009-03-10, 08:12 PM
I have also noticed that at times it duplicates the types within a family, without duplicating the family. I too have no explaination for this behavior.