PDA

View Full Version : CANTILEVER ROOF

pwmsmith
2004-10-21, 07:18 PM
The typical 'System Roof' seem to produce overhang roof systems at default.
Can it also produce cantilever roof systems and how do I go about doing it?
(I want the soffit, level with the bearing point, and the fascia 3' beyond the bearing point.

aaronrumple
2004-10-21, 07:34 PM
First option is just go to a section view and move the roof up the desired height... Just bid a project (82 units housing) where I did just that.

adegnan
2004-10-22, 01:18 PM
This really gets back to our wishlist item to define roof by heel height as well!

It would be great if Revit also could define the roof by the method that Pat said. Pat, is there a name for this style of truss? It is not common in my area.

sbrown
2004-10-22, 02:23 PM
I make 2 roofs, one flat for the bottom chord and one sloped for the top chord.

gregcashen
2004-10-22, 02:31 PM
Scott, what is the advantage of doing this versus using a roof and a ceiling and then a soffit on the exterior? Isn't this how it would be built?

pwmsmith
2004-10-23, 12:12 AM
Abe,
We call this a cantilever roof in lieu of overhang roof. It is used frequently in this area of south Florida so we can add multi profiles under the eave and still maintain a 8' head height on the windows.
If we use an overhang and provide a flat soffit it drops the usable height under the wall which extends up to the bearing point. The other reason cant. is popular different overhang lengths. If bearing is the same as the bottom of the soffit it does not matter what the overhang is or if they are different.
Sorry it took me so long to reply but had to move office today.