PDA

View Full Version : Add new material

mtogni
2009-03-11, 07:21 AM
Hi all,
I can add a new material in Revit 2009? In R2008 was pretty easy to do but now it seems rather difficult. For example, I took a picture of a real wall made of stones and I want to create a material with it. How can I do?
Thanks in advance.

carty_girl
2009-03-11, 08:59 AM
creating new materials is pretty easy. follow this way
-First you save the pic on your computer as a 4 ex jpg image,
-Then from settings open the material dialoge box
-Choose the material which you want your pic's texture to be like, in your case mansory- stone.
-Then from lower leftside of dialoge box click duplicate material, enter a new name for your material
-Under the stone properties-----filename---on the right there is a small box withdots in it press it and select your image path --- press ok
- press (update preview) in the preview menu
- VOILA you've got your new material

patricks
2009-03-11, 03:33 PM
Prior to 2009, render materials were separate from Revit's model materials in each project. You would assign a render material to a model material in a project for rendering purposes.

Now, they are combined, and all render materials (called Render Appearances) are strictly based off of the project's material definitions. So to create a new render appearance, you have to define a new material in a project, and either give it a pre-defined render appearance, or use a pre-defined appearance to modify and create a new render appearance.

It's not too hard once you get used to it. The only thing I don't like is not being able to save out your render appearances. You can copy between projects using Transfer Project Standards. You could even set up a "master" file containing custom render appearances. You could make that part of a detail library project file if you wanted to stay consolidated.

Carlos GT
2009-03-11, 05:39 PM
Is is possible to do it in Revit 2008?

creating new materials is pretty easy. follow this way
-First you save the pic on your computer as a 4 ex jpg image,
-Then from settings open the material dialoge box
-Choose the material which you want your pic's texture to be like, in your case mansory- stone.
-Then from lower leftside of dialoge box click duplicate material, enter a new name for your material
-Under the stone properties-----filename---on the right there is a small box withdots in it press it and select your image path --- press ok
- press (update preview) in the preview menu
- VOILA you've got your new material

SCShell
2009-03-12, 02:17 PM
Is is possible to do it in Revit 2008?

Hey there,
Yes it is, but not as simple. You have to select the material from you material library.
Duplicate it in order to create a new similar material.
Then create a new folder in you Material Library for User (Materials listed already are read only files and can not be modified.)
Click on the the AccuRender button to the right
Select your material to edit (or a similar one to duplicate)
Click Material above (Where is says, Library ..... Folder.... Material)
Select Edit or New depending (I usually edited an old material)
Select Maps
Under the Image Mapping, browse for your jpg image, then select add.
Then select the Image Bump
Save as and then assign.

You can modify it over and over to create similar materials with different jpg images.
Good luck.
This is yet another good addition to 2009 in my book.
STeve