PDA

View Full Version : Not printing to scale

christine.208572
2009-03-11, 03:07 PM
I'm new to Revit Architecture and I am trying to print my drawings to scale, the vertical or top to bottom dimensions are good but the horizontal or left to right dimensions are off 1" to 6" depending on the size of the building. My printer is a Lexmark W812 and we print to 11x17 paper. I can print to scale using AutoCAD Architecture but not with Revit Architecture. I've tried searching this site as well for some answers but have come up empty handed. It's not the rollers in the printer and the Lexmark company does not have any new drivers or answers to help. I have tried printing using all the options in the plot dialogue box and the closest I can get is using center the plot and zoom 100% without losing my titleblock. I've even tried printing to PDF and get the same result.

I really need to fix this before my boss throws this program out! Help! :cry:

patricks
2009-03-11, 03:11 PM
How is your title block made? Our title blocks have a line representing the actual size of the paper, which if course doesn't get printed due to print margins. Then there is another line about 1/4" to 1/2" in from the edge of the paper with a different line style in the title block family, which is the printed border seen just inside the edge of the paper.

But if you're printing at 100%, I don't see why it wouldn't come out at the correct scale.

If it's doing it in PDF's, too, then it's definitely a problem with Revit or your title block family, and not a printer problem.

sjsl
2009-03-11, 03:15 PM
You need to dig deeper into the printer function. It is not Revit.

patricks
2009-03-11, 03:15 PM
I modified one of our 11x17 title blocks to make it generic. I know this one prints correctly for us, so give it a try and see what happens.

cliff collins
2009-03-11, 03:46 PM
Are you printing a View or a Sheet?

I would suggest placing the View on a Sheet, and then select the Sheet
to print. Make sure to only have the checkbox for Sheets on, and select only the Sheet
you are printing.

Use 100% , Centered. Revit will give you exactly what you tell it. ( WYSIWYG)

I suspect something with the printer driver needs to be set differently.

cheers......................

nsinha73
2009-03-11, 03:47 PM
It is always the User Error...I tell in my Office...
Revit Doesn't do anything on its own, but whatever command is given..
So...
1. Its either you paper size is jerked up
2. You have imported an AutoCAD file in Revit which has entities all over the place.
3. You are Printing by "Visible Portion of Current Window"
4. Your "Paper Placement" is not set to "Center"

Many more.....it's not Revit....Trust Me...its the User! :-D

Lastly...It is also the Printer and Paper as it Rolls off the Printer Drum (whatever) it gets off as the inkjet is laying out the Ink!

iankids
2009-03-12, 12:21 AM
Hi Christine,

As a general rule, I would normally print to pdf (combining all sheets into one pdf file) and then print the pdf to the printer. I do this so I can get the printing going on another computer whilst I keep working on my main box - as well as the obvious sharing ability of pdfs.

As long as I have the zoom factor set to 100% as mentioned previously by Cliff & Patricks, use the "select views/sheets" in the print range & I have selected the correct paper size, everything works perfectly every time.

The only time I have had any grief was when I accidentally chose "Fit to Page" on the printer setup. It took a while to figure out as the scaling was only very slightly off.

Cheers,

Ian

christine.208572
2009-03-12, 12:15 PM
Thanks to everyone! I will dig a little deeper and see what happens. I appreciate all the help!