PDA

View Full Version : Demolition Problems

kim.74445
2004-10-21, 10:33 PM
I have existing walls that are being demolished and I am trying to place existing doors in these walls, however, they show up as demolished wall openings instead of a demolished door...can anyone help???

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-21, 10:41 PM
I have existing walls that are being demolished and I am trying to place existing doors in these walls, however, they show up as demolished wall openings instead of a demolished door...can anyone help???You need to work in views that are using the phase that is appropriate. So to place existing doors in an existing wall your view should be set to Existing. Then in another view set to display "new construction" you need to demolish the walls. The doors will get demolished along with the wall naturally.

Phase filters in each view is how you tell Revit to display objects in different phases differently.

If you have already placed the doors you can just edit the properties of the doors to change the phase demolished parameter to the appropriate one.

Also if you are already doing these things, is it possible that you have visibilty graphics settings changed to hide door panels and swings in the view?

ita
2004-10-22, 12:08 AM
Steve is correct in that the views and the phasing need to be complimentary. This took me some time to understand and make it work. got all sort s of strange conditions!!! :roll: :banghead:

I do a lot of renovation work and I have found it easier to demolish the wall and the doors/windows and reinstate the "existing doors and windows" in the new walls as new objects, but marking the door or window tag in a manner that notes that the door was the existing reinstated. It really only counts on the schedules.

That way the original doors and windows show as demo items and the reinstated items show as reinstated for costing purposes - however the tag will need to make that distinction on the schedule.

kim.74445
2004-10-22, 06:33 PM
I tried all of your suggestions, unfortunately, none of them worked. I am not familiar with how the phasing was done on this project since it was handed down to me, but I tried every way possible and didn't get any results.

What happened was that the doors were there originally, but then when someone edited the door schedule, they did it incorrectly and ended up deleting them. I am trying to get them to re-appear in the demolition plan because we only have that and the new floor plan, but I have been unsuccessful. I try placing a door, but it automatically turns into a demolished wall, whether or not the wall I am placing it in is demolished or not. I try to go into the properties of the door and change the phase, but there is no option for that and then after I place it the properties are for a wall, not a door and I don't have the option to change the phasing on that either. If you can think of something else that might work, please, please, please let me know!

Thanks for all the help so far!

LRaiz
2004-10-22, 06:48 PM
Can't you simply select your door and change its Phase Demolished property? Make it be the same as wall's.

Allen Lacy
2004-10-22, 07:02 PM
I try to go into the properties of the door and change the phase, but there is no option for that and then after I place it the properties are for a wall, not a door and I don't have the option to change the phasing on that either. If you can think of something else that might work, please, please, please let me know!

Thanks for all the help so far!

There should be an option for changing the properties/phase created/phase demolished for all objects. If you are trying to change properties before placing, then that option doesn't exist.

Also, have you looked at the phase filter settings? If you are the new construction phase and filter is set to Show All, you will be seeing existing, new and demolished. Make sure that the doors and walls were not created and demolished in the same phase. This will make them temporary.

kim.74445
2004-10-22, 08:35 PM
The Phase Filter is set to "Show Previous & Demo"
The Phase is set to "New"
The walls show up at demolished (dashed)
The walls properties are:
- Phase Created: Exist'g
- Phase Demolished: New
When I try and enter a door in the wall it shows as a door until I click it to finish the command and then it turns into a demolished wall, but not the same demolished wall that it was placed into. The new demolished wall that should be a door does not have any properties to change the phasing...it hardly has any at all. I just can't figure it out.

(Background...the doors were fine until the door schedule was edited...by mistake, an employee deleted them from the door schedule, in turn deleting them from the entire project...I don't know if this makes a difference or not.)

Thank you all for your patience in helping me figure this problem out!

LRaiz
2004-10-22, 08:51 PM
I suspect that you don't see properties of just created door because you are still in the door tool. Make sure that you are in modify (arrow) tool when selecting a door. Can you see its properties? Set Phase Created to Existing and Phase Demolished to New.

kim.74445
2004-10-22, 08:57 PM
That's not it either...after I place the door the command automatically goes back to modify.

christo4robin
2004-10-22, 10:20 PM
Have you changed the wall to Phase created - existing, Phase demolished - none, then placed your doors (same phasing as I just noted), then changed the wall back to Phase created - existing, Phase demolished - New Construction?

Just a thought.

Allen Lacy
2004-10-25, 01:10 PM
Can you post the file? If it's too large, can you cut and paste the objects that are problems into a new project and purge, save as and that should reduce file size.

SCShell
2004-10-25, 02:47 PM
Hi there,

Couldn't help to notice your problem here. I have found it helpful to always have 4 main plans when doing a remodel.
Existing Plan - Leave this plan as a reference plan in an "Existing" phase with no new or demo work. It always remains the same throughout your project in case you have to make any corrections to existing conditions, dimensions or any items existing items you may have missed.

Demo Plan - A true demo plan, set to "New Construction" phase showing "Complete" or "Show Previous and Demo".
Remodel Plan - The new plan, set to "New Construction" phase showing "Complete". (This plan does not show any Demo'd items.)
Coordination Plan - The new plan which also displays all of the demolished items at the same time. I set it to "New Construction" and have added a new phase type called, "Show Complete with Demo". I have all of the demolished items shown with a pink fill so that they print a little darker on black and white copies. (This plan helps everybody, including me, to understand the relationships between existing, demo and new work, all in one plan. Usually part of a Preliminary Plan used for budget estimates by the contractor and as a lease exhibit for T.I. work.)

Hope this helps
Steve Shell

kim.74445
2004-10-25, 03:20 PM
It worked...it finally worked!!! 4christo4 you're a genious! Thanks to everyone else for your help! I am still fairly new to Revit, so this forum really came in handy...thanks so much!

luigi
2005-02-22, 02:25 PM
... I am not familiar with how the phasing was done on this project since it was handed down to me, but I tried every way possible and didn't get any results.

Maybe Kim, you won't read this message, but if you do.....there is nothing wrong in how the file was handed down to you.....remember always!!!:-P