PDA

View Full Version : Brick Details

luke.211402
2009-03-12, 03:47 PM
I'm trying to add the 1" brick projections in the attached image, and haven't had any luck. The reveals were easily achieved with a wall sweep. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-12, 03:58 PM
Could be done a bunch of ways, whichever suits you best.

1. Generic Wall Hosted Family or Face based Family > Make the additional brick projection sit on the wall, then place them accordingly. You can make them as individual nubs, or make it somewhat parametric and flexible in how theyre spaced. You could also do it with a line based, if you have these over a lot of walls in the project. (But be patient placing them, theyre crippling to work with, hehe) How much you put in the families themselves depends on what your deliverables are, i suppose. It oculd be linework in the family elevation view, or something actually modeled...

2. In Place Family > Hit Create | Wall Catagory | Model the pieces as in place extrusions (not my preference)

3. Handle them with detailing lines or Detail Components in elevations and details, and dont model them. (It depends on what your deliverables are... Are you showing this in 3D a lot?)

4. You COULD do it with wall sweeps, but jesus... Youll go insane. Order of operations and all that, because theyre in the same horizontal plane. Youd have to place one, grab grips, shorten it, move it. Place another at different height, shorten grips, move it... And youll go nuts when they start tripping and shifting on you...

patricks
2009-03-12, 05:43 PM
If I were modeling that, I would probably make a line-based model family with the projected brick repeating at the required spacing going VERTICALLY, and then copy or perhaps array it around the building in plan. If using array to make lots of copies, but some areas have the column of projections going higher, then make sure they are not grouped and associated, so that you can adjust them higher where needed.