PDA

View Full Version : 2D AutoCAD blocks into Revit Detail Components

sami
2009-03-13, 09:41 PM
Is there an easy way of converting several 2D AutoCAD blocks into Revit Detail Components?

The only way I see is importing one block at a time into a detail component family and save as a different name every time..

This is the file I am trying to convert: http://blog.miragestudio7.com/2007/12/free-autocad-human-figure-library-dwg-block-cad-human-figure/

d.stairmand
2009-03-14, 05:15 PM
Sami
The way that i have ended up doing it is
import all the Autocad blocks into 1 revit family file
explode them all
Turn all the lines into revit lines
purge the drawing removing all the autocad references (object styl;e & line styles/types)
then just "saveas" to all the file names
delete out other blocks so only 1 is left & move this to the origin

Scott Womack
2009-03-16, 10:48 AM
......import all the Autocad blocks into 1 revit family file
explode them all. Turn all the lines into revit lines purge the drawing removing all the autocad references (object styl;e & line styles/types) then just "saveas" to all the file names delete out other blocks so only 1 is left & move this to the origin

This will work, but according to some people within the Factory, this may not remove the original reference to the actual DWG file, and therefore be inflating the size of the family file.

I would suggest LINKING in the DWG files, then either tracing them, or using the arrow tool under the Line tool, and selecting the line segments in the underlying DWG file. In this manner, the DWG size is never actually put into the family, and after you remove the link (through the manage links dialog box) there is no "cleanup" that you need to perform. It also allows you to "edit, or marginally simplify the underlying DWG info, since you may actually not need the extreme amount of detail some DWG components may have.

d.stairmand
2009-03-16, 11:13 AM
Scott
When ever i have tried to link anything into a a family, the "Link" tick box is grayed out - It just inserts the Object which becomes an "Insert Symbol???.dwg". It also brings into the Family all its line types and layers? I see no way of actually Linking in a .dwg file?

I have of late only been doing this with Detail Components, it may work differently for other family types?