PDA

View Full Version : Rendering - lighting

azmz3
2009-03-16, 05:42 PM
I am rendering a scene in RAC 2009, it is an exterior scene with a few spot lights to throw some light in a darker area. For whatever reason the lights are not showing up when I render it. I have it set up as Exterior: Sun and Artificial, and the lights are not dimmed. attached is a JPG so you can see the dark area above the top of the cells, beneath the roof.

aaronrumple
2009-03-16, 07:26 PM
The lights are being overpowered by the sun. You would be better off putting in a large ground plane to reflect light up into the shadow areas. Then post-process in photoshop to adjust the shadows/highlights.

I'd also change the sun to a lower angle.

Bumping up the power of the lights is another way, but this adds more rendering time.

(..trying to illustrate the escape route?)

azmz3
2009-03-16, 07:51 PM
I am trying to do everything in Revit, since I dont really know Photoshop. I could mess with the sun angle a bit, right now it is set to a specific day/time in the city this is going to be built in. I have bumped up the wattage of the lights themselves, but that hasnt done anything so far. I will keep messing with it, and see what i can get.

Not an escape, these are in-escapable (is that a word) Precast boxes, this is the mechanical/plumbing for the cells

aaronrumple
2009-03-16, 08:50 PM
I could mess with the sun angle a bit, right now it is set to a specific day/time in the city this is going to be built in. I have bumped up the wattage of the lights themselves, but that hasnt done anything so far. I will keep messing with it, and see what i can get.

Time of day isn't really important for the image you have since it is abstract and the sun would never shine into the space as shown.

Note that the sun is VERY bright. About 130 watts per sq. ft. Or something along the lines of 6840000000000000000000000000 lumens. So you REALLY need to kick up those interior lights.

carty_girl
2009-03-17, 10:10 AM
Hey i faced the same problem for a long time and nothing of the mentioned properties fixed the problem
THE ONLY WAY IS TO MULTIPLY THE WATTAGE OF THE ARTIFICIAL LIGHTS BY 1000
ex if the lamp wattage is 40 then make 40000
then use the option exterior sun and artificial
that'll fix the problem
Give me a feedback how it went

azmz3
2009-03-17, 01:49 PM
i got it to work, but i didnt have to up the artificial light that much. it went from a 100 watt to 250 watt, i also changed the shape of the spot light from a circle to a rectangle, with light emitting from the bottom out. it gave me the effect I wanted without overdoing it. here is how it came out.