PDA

View Full Version : Trying to copy/monitor floor from structural

patricks
2009-03-17, 06:55 PM
I usually draw floor/building slabs as 4" concrete slabs in my model. Currently I have a file with a structural Revit file linked in. The 2nd floor consists of a 5 1/4" concrete slab on steel deck. I tried to C/M this floor, and in the settings I told it to copy the floor in as the same type.

So after doing that, I click on the floor, and it creates the floor type in my project, but it doesn't actually copy the floor itself. I tried again and it just created a duplicate 5 1/4" floor type. What is going on here?

I tried it again and changed the settings to copy the structural's 5 1/4" floor on steel deck in as my regular 4" slab floor type. This time it worked, the floor is there and is being monitored, but of course the floor type is different.

I need to copy the floor in because I need to edit the sketch to go around some stairs. But I would like for it to be the same type of floor as what structural is showing. If I just create a new instance and sketch the floor using that 5 1/4" type that was copied in, then of course it's not being monitored so neither of us will be notified if anyone makes changes to the floor.

I would like to be able to edit the actual floor type that structural is using, and have it notify structural that they need to coordinate on their end. Ideas?

The columns seem to be C/M'ing just fine. It's just this floor that's giving me trouble. Does it having anything to do with the fact that it has a structural steel deck on it? I thought we could get floors on steel deck into an architectural model if they're copied from a structural model.

Scott Womack
2009-03-17, 11:10 PM
I would like to be able to edit the actual floor type that structural is using, and have it notify structural that they need to coordinate on their end. Ideas?

You have copy monitored the slab in, just editing it will do nothing to notify the structural engineer. They have to get your model back, before you edit the stair opening, and monitor their slab to yours. Then when you edit the stair opening, and send another model to the structural engineer, THEN they would be notified of the change in floor. If you edit the opening, and send it to them, when they set up the monitoring, it would know of the difference, and try to maintain that difference.

patricks
2009-03-18, 02:58 AM
I know about all that. I'm saying when I click on the floor to C/M it, nothing comes in. It creates the floor type in my file, but doesn't create the actual floor itself in the model. Other things like columns and grids C/M just fine, and this floor in question WILL C/M if I tell it to change it to a 4" slab type in my file. It's just when I try to C/M it as the 5 1/4" floor that's in the structural model, it won't bring the floor in.

The ground floor is in the structural model as a 4" slab, so C/M that one and kept it as the 4" slab, and it came in fine. Whenever I change the slab sketch of that floor, it pops up a message saying that the sketch has changed, which should show up on structural's end when they update their link of my file. That's what I want to happen with the 2nd floor, but I just can't get it to work.

cliff collins
2009-03-18, 02:43 PM
Try creating the 5 1/4" floor type with decking layer in your project, for the 2nd Floor slab.
Can you make the same exact family in RAC that RS has?

Maybe the 5 1/4" RS floor family is not compatible with RAC?

???

cheers.....

patricks
2009-03-18, 03:17 PM
I can create the floor by sketching it myself. But then it's not linked to the structural floor so that any changes made by us or them will notify the other party. That's what I'm after.