PDA

View Full Version : center of core vs. center of wall

violet78
2009-03-17, 10:04 PM
I have walls that I am trying to align with column grid lines. I need to align center of core (center of stud) on the column line, but I can only pick the center of the whole wall. Any tips on how to do this easily?

patricks
2009-03-17, 10:07 PM
You should be able to pick it if you Tab through the selection. Try selecting the Align tool and pick Prefer: Center of Core. Then try aligning the center of your wall core to your grid line.

violet78
2009-03-17, 10:11 PM
Thanks! I wasn't able to tab through for some reason, and my center of core was only 1/16" off from center of wall (enough to cause trouble). What I was missing was the extra options under the Align tool. Using "Prefer: Center of Core" is working perfectly.

patricks
2009-03-18, 03:00 AM
Thanks! I wasn't able to tab through for some reason, and my center of core was only 1/16" off from center of wall (enough to cause trouble). What I was missing was the extra options under the Align tool. Using "Prefer: Center of Core" is working perfectly.

Yes, I can't stand when the 2 centers are very close together. Happens all the time when we have a 6" stud wall with 6 1/2" out to face of brick, and 5/8" sheetrock on the inside. That puts the centerline of the wall only 1/16" inside the outer face of the stud layer. So annoying!