PDA

View Full Version : See cameras themselves

craigm.119171
2009-03-18, 04:10 PM
I am in need to be able to layout camera (as families of sorts) for security camera purposes to give the client some as to what they will see through their cameras.

Can anyone give me a hand on a few questions:

How to make cameras visible in view? Subsequently printable.

How to change field of view of camera to a precise focal length...I know I can stretch the view to create a fisheye view but no way to precisely control that

thanks in advance

patricks
2009-03-18, 04:21 PM
1. You can show the camera for a 3D perspective view while in a plan view by right-clicking on the 3D view in the project browser and clicking Show Camera. This will allow you to make view depth and camera location adjustments in that plan view. However, once you click anywhere else in the drawing, the camera will disappear. I do not think there is any way to print the view with cameras showing.

2. I would just create a security camera family, possibly with symbolic lines that will show in a floor plan or ceiling plan view, noting the direction the camera is facing. Get your 3D camera views in the right place, and then place your camera family in the same place. Or you might do it vice versa.

3. The focal length of a camera lens determines the image frame's field of view. In Revit, the only thing you have is your field of view settings. You can set the field of view to be equivalent to a particular focal length, but it requires some math. See this post and the PDF attachment Wes posted: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=38274

Keep in mind that the calculations are based off the field of view of a lens on a 35mm film camera. With a security camera, you'll have to run different calculations. If you can get a FOV spec from the camera manufacturer, then your calculations will be much easier.

petervanko
2009-03-18, 04:24 PM
Go to your plan view, then, in your project browser right click on any 3D view and find "Show Camera". Now, this is only temporary...it goes away as soon as you start a new command.

I imagine you will have to make an annotation object that you place approximately in the same place...