PDA

View Full Version : Most important new goodies in R7

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-22, 04:33 PM
For those of you sitting on the fence, or who have heard of challenges other Reviteers have talked about, here's my informal list of the best of what's new:

improvements to groups. Multi-unit architecture is going to be easier to handle in Revit
improvements to structural tools
improved curtain wall modelling
jogged sections
coordination between Revit coordinates and AutoCAD WCS -- fixed! (they've really thought this one through - the export dialog shows this)
improved massing -- massing used on a large scale used to kill your project; it doesn't anymore -- it does massing, just that, and if you want to convert it to a building, it's a beautiful thing
It's just the tip of the iceberg!

Scott D Davis
2004-10-22, 04:44 PM
I would add:

Improvements to DWG export. Christie Landry last night had 'too many to list"
ACIS Solids import. Export any ACIS solid form any other program, import into Revit, turn it into a building shape. Export out you mechanical system from ABS (autodesk building systems), import into Revit and do interference checking in 3D.
Shape handles: Revit has improved shape handles graphically, so you can push/pull them more easily, especially in Massing. (more 'sketchup' like)
Legend views
More to come!

aggockel50321
2004-10-22, 05:14 PM
Looks like big improvements in revision tracking also...

muttlieb
2004-10-22, 05:20 PM
Just what are the improvements to structural tools?

gregcashen
2004-10-22, 07:57 PM
Good question!

Scott Hopkins
2004-10-22, 08:54 PM
1. Shadows in shaded views! This should prove to be a great visualization and design tool. I like the idea of being able to quickly create snappy elevations with shadows.

2. Massing tools that are actually useful!

3. Improvements to families - interchangeable nested components! You can't do this now without creating a zillion different types.

tarch
2004-10-22, 09:45 PM
For those of you sitting on the fence, or who have heard of challenges other Reviteers have talked about, here's my informal list of the best of what's new:

.....improvements to structural tools.....
It's just the tip of the iceberg!
Is Canadian Steel Content included by any chance?

ariasdelcid
2004-10-23, 12:13 AM
I see Jim got his wish for the revisions... Any idea on the structural improvements, automatic keynoting and electrical plans notation ?

David Sammons
2004-10-23, 12:20 AM
I hope there are significant improvements in the text editor.

Arnel Aguel
2004-10-23, 07:12 AM
Just what are the improvements to structural tools?

Yes please we have been waiting for this one. We have been told earlier that version 7 will be the released of full blown structural capabilities of Revit.

Can anybody confirmed this or we are just dreaming.

beegee
2004-10-23, 07:37 AM
The pre release material says -

" Beam Systems.
Beam Setback Control.
Many other Improvements "

" New tools such as joist systems beam, set back controls, brace controls, and column-grid attachments, make this process even more streamlined. "

So maybe its not the full blown structural system just yet.

A couple of days and we'll know.

gregcashen
2004-10-23, 10:15 PM
I can guarantee you have never been officially told that by anyone at Autodesk/Revit. I suspect that Revit's future shape will look not unlike the rest of the ADSK products...that being vertical products for the different industries...not all-in-one Arch/Struct/MEP tool, but separate programs/add-ons or something. This seems to be the way ADSK markets their products, so I can only guess this will be the case going forward with Revit. Honestly, if it increases the cost of Revit, how many people would want structural analysis in the main program? I don't think most people want to pay an increase unless they are actually going to use the software! I guess we'll have to wait and see, though.

I can tell you this...we have seen previews of 7.0 and there was not a TON of structural enhancements...I would not expect to be surprised on Monday by a full-blown structural analysis tool inside Revit. I am sure we would have heard something by now if that was the case.

ariasdelcid
2004-10-24, 03:21 AM
I believe structural enhancements will be on separate module. I wish we could at least graphically represent structure in architectural con docs, out of the box. Floors, walls, roof.

Jit
2004-10-24, 11:13 PM
How about line weights in elevations and sections ? are being generated automatically like ADT ?? i.e. different widths for different depths

outpostarc
2004-10-25, 01:23 AM
(being vertical products for the different industries...not all-in-one Arch/Struct/MEP tool)

Maybe Autodesk will break from tradition!? Add-ons start to bring with them all the incompatibilities issues as the software progresses. I'd like to see it happen in one package as much as possible.

hand471037
2004-10-25, 05:09 AM
How about line weights in elevations and sections ? are being generated automatically like ADT ?? i.e. different widths for different depths

well, they are done that way in Revit now, it's just that there are only three levels of dept cut, view, and beyond... ;)

Mr Spot
2004-10-25, 05:27 AM
well, they are done that way in Revit now, it's just that there are only three levels of dept cut, view, and beyond... ;)
Not in elevations they aren't

MikeJarosz
2004-10-25, 03:09 PM
Why not just draw engineering objects yourself?

While we're waiting for Revit to include engineering objects, JBB and Cantor are drawing, fans, valves and wide flanges in plain old Revit. Check out the Freedom Tower web cast. The MEP images you saw were Revit ducts, pipelines etc. The just didn't have any inherent engineering properties.

Revit has been coy about whether they will have engineering abilities, and how they will do it. They don't want to announce it then be unable to deliver it. That's what Microsoft does. It's called vaporware.