PDA

View Full Version : Internal Insulation, New Phase - Window Depth?

barrie.sharp
2009-03-19, 04:09 PM
We do alot of refurbishment. We have often need to apply insulation internally to external walls. So a room will have 1 or perhaps 2 walls with 100mm insulation.

I draw a wall which has insulation and is finished on the interior with plaster. Align the external face against the interior of the external wall and use the join tool.

The walls tidy up well and the finished plaster joins as it should. Windows cut the new wall/insulation. The only drawback is windows don't extend the full depth of the cut. Not quite sure how to fix this? In reality it would only be the cill that is extended and I'm not certain how to get the cill to automatically detect the new depth.

Is there something I can do? Am I simply barking up the wrong tree?

Please offer your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you

jeffh
2009-03-19, 04:41 PM
You could make modifications to the window family to allow the window sill/jambs/heads to extend to the newly finished depth but it will have to be manually done. The window can only detect the one host (original exterior wall) so that is what sets the depth of the window components. With the altered family you could make this depth into a parameter the user can set either by window type or window instance.

barrie.sharp
2009-03-19, 05:11 PM
That's what I was afraid of but it's nice to know that I'm not missing something.

Thanks for the reply :beer:

ws
2009-03-19, 05:58 PM
that's interesting Jeff.

I have exactly the same problem as Barrie and your solution is how I've worked around it, but had always assumed there might be a 'proper' way of adjusting the window cill/board - seemingly not... yet, thanks

Anyway I'm just grateful for the Join Geometry working on the walls - on my old 3D cad system I had to cut out the holes manually when lining walls :shock:

(Is this just a UK thing then, drylining walls of existing buildings?)

Just as an afterthought Barrie, I use the 'Edit Cut Profile' tool in plan to clean up the returns into the window reveals in plan views.

barrie.sharp
2009-03-20, 09:39 AM
WS -
That's great! Didn't know you could edit the finishes like that. This forum really is worth it's weight in gold (virtual gold I guess).

I would think this is mainly a UK thing. We have alot of cold masonary walls out there and alot of stock to bring up to date.

If you would indulge me, I would like to see a screen shot of how you finish the returns to the window. I spend so much time in the office, I have no idea what things do in real life!

ws
2009-03-20, 12:35 PM
I've attached a screenshot of part of the plan of a conversion of a stone building into a holiday letting unit.

At the reveals I use the Edit Cut Profile tool to extend the plasterboard finish and core into the frame but thinner than the general drylining - this reflects what tends to happen on site where laminated plasterboard or just plasterboard is fixed using adhesive dabs onto the reveals rendered with waterproof render, rather than framing so as not to cover up the frame of the window or door.

barrie.sharp
2009-03-20, 12:41 PM
Thank you muchly! :beer: