PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Revit

ROBinHI
2009-03-20, 01:19 AM
Is it possible to create tables in Revit where I could enter text into cells with cells formatted a certain way similar to AutoCAD tables?

An example of what I am trying to do is an abbreviation list. Instead of doing multi-line text I would like to have two columns of text with the abbreviation in one column and full name in the next and possibly hide the table lines.

Or any other suggestions?

kingjosiah
2009-03-20, 04:25 AM
Hi Rob.

Welcome to the forum! Revit does not have a blank table tool as you find in acad. For scenarios such as yours, I have found that creating a "key schedule" seems to work rather well.

I have to run out the door to catch my train else i'd do a better job of explaining. Do a quick search for "key schedule used for notes"; there's a few threads on this. If you don't find it, post back and i'll upload an example for you.

- Jon

iankids
2009-03-20, 07:26 AM
Is it possible to create tables in Revit where I could enter text into cells with cells formatted a certain way similar to AutoCAD tables?

An example of what I am trying to do is an abbreviation list. Instead of doing multi-line text I would like to have two columns of text with the abbreviation in one column and full name in the next and possibly hide the table lines.

Or any other suggestions?

Hi rob.209068,

Have a look through this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=97224 in the API forum. Neat little program and will probably do what you are after.

Cheers,

Ian

Scott Womack
2009-03-20, 10:10 AM
Good Tip in the associated Thread!

jcoe
2009-03-20, 03:39 PM
I've taken a different approach. I developed a generic annotation family called "Abbreviations" and loaded it into my template file. I then created a drafting view and placed the Abbreviations annotation into the drafting view as many times as needed to create a list (no particular order). I then created a note block (View>New>Note block) and selected that Abbreviations annotation. You should see the schedule populate your abbreviations. With some filtering and modifying the appearance, you can get some decent results.

Here are the files for reverse engineering, FWIW. One benefit I have found with this is I can transfer them to other projects using the File>Insert From File>Views method. This comes in handy if someone is working in a project that was started before I implemented this method or if the views were accidentally deleted.

dhurtubise
2009-03-20, 03:55 PM
I prefer the Key Schedules too
Look here http://do-u-revit.blogspot.com/2009/03/text-notes.html

ROBinHI
2009-03-20, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the information. I haven't had a chance to look through them yet but wanted to say thanks for such quick responses. Much appreciated.

jarosa
2009-03-21, 09:32 PM
I use key schedules too. The do u revit tip is a great tip. Now i'm going to go back into my browser and rename my notes "NOTES:GENERAL, NOTES: CONCRETE, etc and make the title with his tip. That way all my notes will list together. Anything that neatens the browser is a plus. This is a great work around.

iankids
2009-03-21, 11:55 PM
Hi Jason & Daniel,

I have been playing with the Schedule notes and block notes ideas and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what is the substantive benefit of creating them fully within Revit rather than creating them in Excel and using the API developed by ijnicholas as mentioned above.

I haven't found a way of exporting the schedule as a schedule for use in another project, and I find it easier and quicker to edit an Excel sheet rather than editing an annotation family.

I know I am a bit slow at times, but am I missing something really basic here?

Thanks

Ian

jarosa
2009-03-22, 08:40 PM
I'm a bit intimidated by using programming. It's probably a lot easier than i would think.

You can use the schedules/notes in different projects. I don't have revit at home but i think i just copy/paste.

No matter what method we use, in my mind it's just a work around. Tell me one good reason a $5,000 program with nearly $8,000 in subscription fees over the next ten years doesn't have an tushi kicking text editor.

my two cents.
John

ROBinHI
2009-03-23, 02:00 AM
Okay, I was somewhat successful with creating my GENERAL NOTES with a schedule key. One problem I ran into was I needed to make list or bulleted items under a note and then have the numbering continue on normally.

Also, is there a way to change spacing between lines so they are not so close? and is it possible to change the font appearance of a single column? Example: I'd like to make the numbering a different font or bold.

When creating a schedule for this type of work around which schedule "category" do you use? or does it matter? I chose "Furniture Systems" for now thinking thats the least likely category I may use but should I be aware of any conflicts should I need to schedule furniture in the future?

Thanks again guys,

Scott Womack
2009-03-23, 10:25 AM
haven't found a way of exporting the schedule as a schedule for use in another project, and I find it easier and quicker to edit an Excel sheet rather than editing an annotation family.

Key Schedules can be "inserted" into another project by the command File/Insert From File/Views. You can also export them to a separate file, just like drafting views.

The API stuff will have to be re-compiled with each major release of Revit. There is no guarentee that it will work in the next release, if Autodesk tweaks the API in some manner.

iankids
2009-03-23, 07:37 PM
Key Schedules can be "inserted" into another project by the command File/Insert From File/Views. You can also export them to a separate file, just like drafting views.

The API stuff will have to be re-compiled with each major release of Revit. There is no guarentee that it will work in the next release, if Autodesk tweaks the API in some manner.

Thanks Scott,

I will keeping playing with the key schedules a bit more.

Cheers,

Ian

skyeg3206316
2013-06-30, 08:16 AM
I am trying to follow post number five in this thread.. how do I "place the Abbreviations annotation into the drafting view"

Thanks to anyone that can help,

jcoe
2013-07-01, 12:31 AM
If you are using a generic annotation for your abbreviations, you will need to place them in your drafting as a symbol.

jackie753263
2017-08-15, 09:19 PM
I've taken a different approach. I developed a generic annotation family called "Abbreviations" and loaded it into my template file. I then created a drafting view and placed the Abbreviations annotation into the drafting view as many times as needed to create a list (no particular order). I then created a note block (View>New>Note block) and selected that Abbreviations annotation. You should see the schedule populate your abbreviations. With some filtering and modifying the appearance, you can get some decent results.

Here are the files for reverse engineering, FWIW. One benefit I have found with this is I can transfer them to other projects using the File>Insert From File>Views method. This comes in handy if someone is working in a project that was started before I implemented this method or if the views were accidentally deleted.

Thanks for sharing this. It made a lot of sense once I went through the files.