PDA

View Full Version : Floor Demo

pjhauff
2009-03-20, 03:55 PM
I have a floor that has to be partially demolished. The only solution I can come up with is to trim the existing floor back to the line of demolition and then draw in a new floor section and then pick Demolish. Even this does not work well because, a floor in plan doesn’t appear all that differently in demo as it does in existing conditions…there is no dashed perimeter line or half-toned surface material. Plus this seems like an extreme procedure…to cut out a section of a floor only to replace it with a new section in order to demolish it. Also, if the trim line moves, I would then have to move the floor line for both surfaces. Is there a way to create a sub-region where the trim line travels between the existing and demo floor sections?

tomnewsom
2009-03-23, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, this is the only way to do it - we could really do with a 'demolish area' tool for floors and roofs and ceilings.

You could try using the Phase display overrides to give your demolished floor a more distinctive appearance, though.

Mike Sealander
2009-03-23, 12:00 PM
Actually, you can partially demolish floors and roofs using in-place voids. This recipe is from a previous post, and deals with demolishing a portion of a wall, but the method applies to other objects:

Do everything in a view in the existing phase:

1. Make two identical walls (overlapping temporarily).
2. Join Geometry between the two identical walls(!). (This will subtract one from the other, temporarily eliminating one.)
3. Now cut the opening.

Magically, the opening is cut, but immediately filled in by the other wall (because the subtraction excludes the opening). Notice, that both pieces are still in the same phase. (existing, never demolished)

4. Now you are ready to demolish the opening. Just use the demolish tool on the fill-in wall or set its phase parameters to "created in existing, demolished in new".
5. Done.

pjhauff
2009-03-23, 06:09 PM
Thank you both for your reply. Mike, I will give your suggestion a try.

d.stairmand
2009-03-24, 01:40 AM
Mike
I have been doing it this way for some time now - its the best way to go!!!
I can do a Demo of the Skins of Walls, Floors, Roofs etc. It's simply the best way to do them.
The only issue is have to make a void per object type - it gets a bit of a pain - but this is small compared to have to split walls, or duplicate stuff.