PDA

View Full Version : Phasing with Revit 2009

joe.199382
2009-03-23, 01:56 PM
I am currently going to start working on a arch. project on an existing commercial space. We are renovating the whole space to prepare for a new restaurant and bar. Upon til this point I have just used Revit for rendering and presentation purposes. With this fresh start of a project I wanted to look into using revit for creating construction documents by using phasing with Revit 2009. I heard that phasing can kind of be complicated at first until you get used to it and I'm totally sure how to even get started with it. So if anyone can navigate me to a website or guide of some sort for learning phasing it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

ghale
2009-03-24, 10:26 PM
Since it sounds like you don't have any training material which covers the subject, try the Autodesk Revit Tutorial Manual located at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11091739. This should answer some of these questions and many more. I always find this a good place to start if your company isn't purchasing training material.

john.coelho
2009-03-25, 02:02 AM
Phasing a project in Revit is really quite simple and powerful once you grasp the basic concept of how it works.

First, out-of-the-box a new Revit project using the standard project template will give you two phases to work with - EXISTING and NEW. Keeping in mind that all phases within Revit are based on a timeline where past (existing) and future (new) are managed within that timeline. If you are doing a multi-phase project be sure to add the phases in the dialog box in the correct order, such as EXISTING - PHASE 1 - PHASE 2 - etc.

Once phases are created you need to create the necessary views for working within the correct phase. For instance, create a floor plan to be used for each of the phases. This is accomplished by setting the phasing for each view property based on the appropriate phase to be used for new content. Within the phasing section of the view property dialog box you set "phase" equal to the correct phase such as EXISTING, PHASE 1, PHASE 2, etc. You also set "phase filter" equal to SHOW PREVIOUS + NEW to get a plan that will have all existing (previous) phases shown grey with only the present (new) phase shown black. The PREVIOUS filter will include all phases before the current NEW phase. For example, if PHASE 2 is the "new" phase, then EXISTING and PHASE 1 will be treated as "previous".

Once you've mastered the above technique, creation of DEMO drawings would be accomplished in a similar manner. You create views to show demolition conditions by once again using "phase" equal to the new phase to be used for the view with the "phase filter" equal to SHOW PREVIOUS + DEMO. That method will have all past phases shown in grey with demolished content shown differently. Keep in mid that the filter of SHOW PREVIOUS + DEMO will not show any new phase content in these views.

And one last technique to use in phasing is the creation of any "temporary" content for your construction. In order to show temporary walls, doors, etc. you need to place content with "phase created" and "phase demolished" set to the same phase. For example, if you need temporary partitions within Phase 1, you would create those walls using the new Phase 1 view and then demolish them within the same Phase 1 view. These walls would then follow the graphic settings for temporary construction and would not carry thru into future phases as existng content.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Honest, once you gasp the basic past-future theory of phases you'll be off and running with phased projects in Revit. It's a great tool available in the program.

Contact me if you have any further questions.
John
john.coelho@cox.net

Chirag Dedhia
2009-03-25, 06:18 AM
I am currently going to start working on a arch. project on an existing commercial space. We are renovating the whole space to prepare for a new restaurant and bar. Upon til this point I have just used Revit for rendering and presentation purposes. With this fresh start of a project I wanted to look into using revit for creating construction documents by using phasing with Revit 2009. I heard that phasing can kind of be complicated at first until you get used to it and I'm totally sure how to even get started with it. So if anyone can navigate me to a website or guide of some sort for learning phasing it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Long back, I had prepared a very simple tutorial for Phasing in Renovation Projects. Rem its a beginner's example. Hope this helps.
http://revitmumbai.blogspot.com/2006/04/using-phasing-in-revit-building.html