PDA

View Full Version : Will BIM eventually become Industry Standard?

nsinha73
2009-03-23, 08:12 PM
One Arch in my office doesn't think so....

dhurtubise
2009-03-23, 08:51 PM
Probably the same guys that still uses his drafting table and a pigeon to send the drawings? ;-)
BIM is a new way of building, and yes it's taking over the construction world.

Andre Carvalho
2009-03-24, 12:32 AM
One Arch in my office doesn't think so....

Probably this is an architect with vision: Bought a Betamax videocassette during the VHS x Betamax war and lately bought an HD-DVD player during the Blue-Ray x HD-DVD war... :mrgreen:

And now, will invest on what will dominate the industry standard, on his/her opinion: AutoCAD... :mrgreen:

Andre Carvalho

Jun Austria
2009-03-24, 12:47 AM
I went for a 5 day trip in Philippines. I asked around. Due to economic slow down. Most of the big firm I know are still using Autocad. Why? BIM softwares are just too expensive to implement. My answer is just a "maybe".

Scott Womack
2009-03-24, 09:52 AM
I guess I'm just showing my age. I can remeber a similar debate in the mid to late 80's when people were asking id this new "CADD" (yes, back then there were 2 D's Design and Drafting) was going to become the industry standard, versus hand drafting. Many at the time did not believe CAD was worth the cost, or the implimentation/training costs. Now, very, very little is drawn by hand in the mainstream architectural profession. BIM will be the same type of issue. IT is going to take a few more years to really take over, but I believe it will.

Why, mankind has yet to "reject" any true technological inovation yet. Some items take longer to spread than others, but it will spread. It may not be Revit, it may not even be a software that has been written yet, but the concelt and technology behind BIM will become the defacto standard.

tcatana
2009-03-24, 11:25 AM
we are in the process of converting our 50 person firm to Revit from Architectural Desktop. The hope is to have it fully turned over in five years. I believe the industry is heading that way.

Get on the bus, or get run over by it..

nsinha73
2009-03-24, 03:42 PM
Probably the same guys that still uses his drafting table and a pigeon to send the drawings? ;-)
BIM is a new way of building, and yes it's taking over the construction world.

LOL!!!!! Pigeon? :-D

greg.mcdowell
2009-03-24, 03:42 PM
You're going from Revit Architecture to AutoCAD Architecture or the other way around? If the former why?

nsinha73
2009-03-24, 03:44 PM
You're going from Revit Architecture to AutoCAD Architecture or the other way around? If the former why?

I thought he meant, Going to Revit "from" ADT

tcatana
2009-03-24, 03:50 PM
going TO Revit From ADT

doe
2009-03-24, 04:05 PM
BIM will be the industry standard, Revit has a large number of that, but i truly hope for the benefit of the industry that players such as ArchiCAD remain. it's good for everyone to have options. So my final answer: yes, it will be standard, just depends which flavor of BIM you prefer.

gbrowne
2009-03-24, 04:40 PM
Pens to computers, 2D cad to 3D. It just makes sense. I can't imagine that in 50 years time anything that is 3D will be designed using a 2D package, regardless of who makes the software. I can't wait to see what its like in 50 years time!

patricks
2009-03-24, 04:56 PM
Eventually everything will be designed and even built virtually in a "holodeck"-type environment, like what you see on the Starship Enterprise :mrgreen:

<-- hopes that our society in the 24th century will at least be somewhat like Gene Roddenberry's vision.

mthurnauer
2009-03-24, 04:57 PM
A clear indicator that BIM is the future is how much it has already been adopted by contractors. There are many examples of Construction Manager firms out there that if a project is not in BIM, they will hire people to create a BIM model of the job for the purpose of costing, collision detection, coordination, and scheduling. We had made the switch over to Revit a few years ago, but at the time when we were switching over, we had just started on a large project that we thought may have been too complex to do in BIM. So, we kept it in CAD and it turns out that many of the contractors prepared their shop drawings in BIM. I now wish we had done it in BIM from the start.