PDA

View Full Version : Stick-built Stacked Wall

narlee
2009-03-23, 11:31 PM
I do not do Revit "stacked walls." I put walls on top of other walls. For example, I put residential exterior wall assemblies on top of foundation walls. However, when I go to modify the join at the corners of the exterior wall assemblies, they often do not behave properly, because of the existence of the foundation walls. Even if I set the range & visibility to exclude a depth that would capture the foundation walls. Anyone know how to make the upper exterior wall assemblies not interact with the lower foundation walls?

Thanks in advance,
Geof

Scott Womack
2009-03-24, 09:31 AM
I do not do Revit "stacked walls." I put walls on top of other walls. For example, I put residential exterior wall assemblies on top of foundation walls. However, when I go to modify the join at the corners of the exterior wall assemblies, they often do not behave properly, because of the existence of the foundation walls. Even if I set the range & visibility to exclude a depth that would capture the foundation walls. Anyone know how to make the upper exterior wall assemblies not interact with the lower foundation walls?

I do not believe there is any "trick" to this, since you are choosing NOT to use stacked walls. Many in the residential market do not choose to use them either. You cannot tell walls to not connect to the walls placed on top of other walls. The built-in clean-up radius for walls seems hard to pin down. It may be predicated on the width of the wall. The wider the wall, the larger the clean-up radius.

Being in a firm (and virtually my entire career) in large institutional, and commercial projects, I do not have anything I can give to help.

narlee
2009-03-24, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Scott.

I guess I will have to look into stacked walls. I've used Revit for many years, but try to avoid a some of Revit's spiffier features, as I find they often breakdown the further you get into detail levels, or become too complicated for my simple mind (and I DO like to keep things simple).

Geof

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-24, 12:59 PM
Stacked walls are great, once you get the hang of them... And once you learn the caveats of the tools. IE Dont attach the stacked walls top or base, unless you use the Break up command on it, because it tries to attach ALL of the basic walls, etc.

I use them on almost every project though, they make putting the model together and shifting things MUCH faster...

narlee
2009-03-24, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Aaron!