PDA

View Full Version : Callout Tag Number/Name

benmay
2009-03-24, 01:05 AM
An open question for discussion, I would like to see how other people are handling callouts.

Callouts are great for blowups of sections/elevations, but the naming and in particular the double-handling required has got me stumped

The actual callout symbol appears to only be able to use the detail number parameter. I can then use any parameter I want to label the detail on sheet.

To keep the callouts consistent I think we need to do too many steps too early;

My process at the moment;

1. Create callout
2. Name Callout (View Name)
3. Place on sheet
4. Adjust view number to match (view name)

Anyone have another process that works?

Scott Womack
2009-03-24, 09:59 AM
An open question for discussion, I would like to see how other people are handling callouts.

Callouts are great for blowups of sections/elevations, but the naming and in particular the double-handling required has got me stumped

The actual callout symbol appears to only be able to use the detail number parameter. I can then use any parameter I want to label the detail on sheet.

To keep the callouts consistent I think we need to do too many steps too early;

My process at the moment;

1. Create callout
2. Name Callout (View Name)
3. Place on sheet
4. Adjust view number to match (view name)

The primary issue is that you cannot have much consistency to the names. Based on your theory, why not just accept the default naming of Section 1 through 100, and call it a day?

IF you want (as some do) all of the door and window jamd details to just say "Jamb Detail" you must have the name on the sheet different than what the name of the view is. On large projects (100 to 300 architectural sheets) it is critical to have some sort of naming convention that is both consistent, and work-able. This is especially true since the drop-down list to reference another view name, cannot be filtered (different discussion) a consistant naming convention is critical to being able to staff a large project. We use a convention something like "Sec - Wall - Section at south wall" for the view name, but it might only say Exterior Wall Section on the sheet, depending upon the project circumstances. Sec = Section, Wall is telling us it is wall based, and then the descriptive name.

Rick Houle
2009-03-24, 12:40 PM
I have found better success being descriptive with detail naming... not numeric (where the browser is concerned)... it is a relief to move away from the old acronym-based file naming cad days...

"Plan Details at Lobby..."
"Column Wrap at A-10..."
"Wall Sections - South Face..."

OR whatever makes sense to the project...

benmay
2009-03-25, 09:31 PM
The primary issue is that you cannot have much consistency to the names. Based on your theory, why not just accept the default naming of Section 1 through 100, and call it a day?

I dont think my original question was clear enough, I am talking about callouts in particular, section naming is another entire item which I have under control.

Callout details can only use the detail number in the callout head, this means you then have to manage your view name and your detail number which is displayed in your callout head separately