PDA

View Full Version : How do you convert units inside Revit??

Richard McCarthy
2004-10-24, 11:22 PM
Howdy gang!

I was just wondering... I am modifying a portal frame family that I loaded from somewhere, it is in imperial units (2' 2") and I have to change the units to 300 mm basically, and it bothers me that I have to go through all that, is there a way inside Revit to let you just switch over the unit system to metric and reflect that change in the view??

Richard McCarthy
2004-10-24, 11:25 PM
Don't worry I found it !! LOL (Feel like an idiot)
It's under Settings > Project Units (or UN for short)

MikeJarosz
2004-10-25, 02:52 PM
This is a major feature of Revit that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Remember, in A**D, you could not do decimals of a foot or metric without changing the size of the data. Essentially, the units were faked. You drew in inches and pretended they were meters. If you had a block that was drawn "in metric", inserting it into an imperial unit drawing created an over sized monster. You needed two libraries for everything.

Of course, changing your measuring tape from imperial to metric shouldn't change the size of the object. I stand just as tall in New York as I would in London, regardless of units.

If you never need imperial measurement, you may not have been aware of this problem in A**D. But for us, with US and international projects, we have to switch all the time.

Just one example. A project we did in Brazil was nominally metric, but that country has to import many building products that are not manufactured domestically. I had to coordinate a 600mm x 600mm ceiling tile with a 2' x 2' raised floor! It was a nightmare.