PDA

View Full Version : Revit and video drivers - gotta have the right drivers!

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-25, 05:19 AM
JasonB3 and I spent half an hour or so getting his PCs set up with the right drivers from MSI's website on Friday. His PCs have the FX5200 nVidia cards by MSI. MSI includes an updater utility that alerts you when new drivers are available (dunno if it downloads them, too), and it may have downloaded the latest MSI drivers, which weren't working for him. He was getting problems with window errors in Revit ("This window has caused an error and must be closed") and his walkthroughs were bailing before the end.

We tried manually installing the latest drivers -- same problem. The latest drivers were for all MSI GeForceFX AND GeForce 6 based video cards. There was one driver for just the GeForce FX alone (56.63) and we gave that a go. It worked - the walkthrough completed, and Jason has yet to see if the window closing errors are done with, but it was a revelation nonetheless.

Again: the nVidia reference drivers would not have worked properly. We had to go the manufacturer's website and try several different driver versions, not just the latest ones. On some video cards you might have to try fix or six iterations back before you find one that works with OpenGL acceleration enabled. I have patience issues when I don't have maximum performance, so I tend to dig at these things until they're solved.

photography67836
2004-10-25, 04:40 PM
Okay,

Let's not get too excited here. I am running the drivers that I thought worked, but lo and behold, they aren't. I had the "an error has occured..." message come up in the walkthrough as it was saving an AVI, (I managed to bypass that) AND it came up in several other plan views as I started to edit them - and those views were forced to close.

Okay, looks like I gotta get a new video card. It's too annoying, happens everyday, disrupts workflow.

Thanks Wes for the help, but it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Jason

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-25, 04:54 PM
Excited? Who me? :razz: Getting a different video card might be easier than trying every one of MSI's drivers to see if it works better.

We'll keep you all posted on what we find.