PDA

View Full Version : Free Revit Family Exchange Service

c.senior
2009-03-26, 04:58 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and dare to ask peoples opinions on a sensitive subject.

At the Revit resource site Revit Factory we have been toying with new ideas for sharing Revit content. Our content is primarily UK/European based metric content but we would also host Imperial content as well.

With the emergence of Autodesk Seek and other such web resources we would like to find out peoples opinion on an Exchange service? We noticed Turbosquid are looking at a marketplace style business model and wish them the best of luck with this. We tried a similar approach 2 years ago but it failed to take off. If the market is changing this may now work?

Our exchange service would be a case of ‘Upload and get a free download’. This way we feel everyone is happy. You get what you are looking for and you also give back to the community at the same time.

We have a Poll setup on the site and would really value your thoughts on this either in this forum here, or on the Revit Factory website (links at the bottom)

All our content is 100% Revit so you can be sure that if you search for a component it will be modelled in Revit (not a Sketch-up or AutoCAD conversion).

We are unsure how to regulate the content in this exchange service i.e. Who decides if its worth adding or not? Do we add everything and allow users to rank it? Should download credits be given based on family complexity? Ideally it wants to be as simple as possible. Should we be urging more manufacturers to invest in Revit content creation? There are many questions on this subject.

Help us to provide the community with a better service by giving us some feed back on this subject. Free content is the ultimate solution but achieving it with quality control and value is the hard part.

Thank you for your time.

Click here for the article http://revitfactory.com/index.php/Latest/revit-exchange.html

Click here to vote in our Poll (top right of the page) http://revitfactory.com/

Regards

Chris Senior
Director
Revit Factory Limited