PDA

View Full Version : scheduling material

iffans
2004-10-25, 08:48 AM
How to make a schedule for material we need for construction? such as the number of bricks, cement, etc. Is it using scheduling/quantity or something else? Any idea? THX!!

beegee
2004-10-25, 09:00 AM
Ken Stowe at Autodesk Revit CM Development is the man to speak to.

I have built a Revit template with 25 schedule/quantity reports that, when exported to .txt files, automatically populate my Excel estimate and map to unit prices in CSI format. I use costs from a book called "Guide to Construction Costs" for Architects, Contractors and Engineers. It has localization and inflation modifiers too.

It takes about 20 minutes to complete an estimate once the unit prices are built into the Excel lookup table. Some of the mappings are very detailed, and some (like HVAC) are SF allowances. Let me know if you'd like to know/see more.

The template also has phasing/views set up for 4D construction "simulation".

Good news and bad news.

First, the bad. My spreadsheet is a METHODOLOGY for mapping YOUR prices to YOUR Revit output. It is NOT a source of unit prices for current construction labor or material pricing for many types of construction. For that I suggest Means Books or CD's, or the book mentioned before - Don Roth's "Guide to Construction Costs", at http://www.bookworkz.com/construction/estimating/1557013519.html.

It will help you if you already have "adequate" skills in Excel, because you'll need to modify the spreadsheet to fit your models and your market.

Now the good. Once YOU select/adjust YOUR unit price and key it into the "lookup table" in the spreadsheet, you can do bazilions of estimates, while Excel does the "looking up", the detail pricing, a summary and a comparison to previous versions for you. There are 4 secrets to make your life easier than mine was as I stumbled a bit in Excel through this proof of concept.

Full discussion in THIS THREAD. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=561&page=2&pp=10&highlight=estimate)

iffans
2004-10-25, 09:06 AM
Yes, I really2 excited!! give me a sign...:)