PDA

View Full Version : Sending a model to a contractor

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-27, 05:59 PM
How do you send a Revit Project to a contractor? Not 'physically' but in regards to the permissions. I can't even edit My revit file at home (never did get that to work) So how will he be able too. Is there anything special I need to do before I send it? Thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-27, 06:17 PM
Simply sending them a copy of the central file would suffice, they just have to know enough to open with Detach from central. Even if they DONT detach, it just wont connect to the central file and theyll get an error... no biggie either way.

I noticed you posted yesterday that they *just asked* for the model. Id be having a serious discussion with the parties involved before i just handed over the model, liabilities aside. I am ALL ABOUT information trading and helping the next guy along, but handing over a model like that has far reaching expectations and implications, REGARDLESS of the release document you make them sign...

ntnik
2009-03-27, 06:24 PM
yes can think of reasons to be concerned..... is there anyway to lock everything down? flashback of "read only" in acad.....i have sent a dwf with the link to dwf viewer (its pretty simplistic) clients comment that they like how the building spins as if in a tornado

cliff collins
2009-03-27, 06:49 PM
Better have a very close look at the Contract with the Owner and Contractor.

DO NOT share the live Revit model with ANYONE unless the Contract specifically allows it.

That said, a 3D DWF or a Navisworks model are very good formats to share with the Contractor.

Check into new AIA documents for BIM and IPD ( Integrated Project Delivery ).

i.e. do some serious homework before sending anyone anything.

cheers...........

jsnyder.68308
2009-03-27, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't be so worried about the technicalities of the file exchange itself, but rather what they expect to use the model for. If they are using it for visualization, you could probably get away with sending a 3D-DWF. If they want it for quantity take-offs, fabrication and 4D scheduling, that's a different ball of wax entirely from a liability view. As others have stated, project contract requirements (or the lack therof) and risk management come into play.
Just make sure you don't end up spending lots of time trying to explain the concept of worksharing to a CAD drafter working for a sprinkler contractor (not trying to pick on sprinkler contractors or CAD drafters - just trying to point out the unintended consequences of seemingly altruistic acts).

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-27, 07:21 PM
It goes beyond that. The moment a client or a contractor realize its available, they sometimes get a preconceived notion about how much detail is in that model, and how that model is built.

More than likely, your model is built to produce your deliverables, no better and no worse. So even though youre covered LEGALLY by your contract, when the contractor gets your model and get accurately quantify EVERYTHING, hes going to go to the client to complain. Then, even if youre in the right, youre on the defensive, and that never looks good.

So the moment someone is asking for the model, get everyone around a table and LEAD the discussion. Educate everyone, and know the expectations and implications for al parties. THEN worry about sharing the model.

tcupp
2009-03-27, 07:42 PM
As with any digital file, I think it depends on the contractor or client and your trust relationship with them. There are some that we would not dare give a DWG to unless it is in their contract and there are some that we would hand a Revit file over to without any problem. I do think it is always good to have a release. We have had no problems yet but it is always a good idea to cover yourself.

cliff collins
2009-03-27, 07:48 PM
This is an intellectual property law question best left to the Principal and an attorney,
with careful language and clear definitions as directed by the attorney included in the signed Contract.

It is fine to share and collaborate--just have the legalities and contractual arrangements
done first and clearly understood and agreed upon by all parties. BIM and IPD bring a lot
of new challenges to the traditional business models and delivery methods--and the contracts need to change accordingly.

cheers...........

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-27, 07:49 PM
Release or not, the client hearing "we thought we could estimate from their model, but its not built good enough," will never reflect well on us as professionals... And i doubt the rod will be spared in the explanation. At least if they say "we thought we could estimate off it it but they wouldnt give us the model," we have an opportunity to explain and educate to the client WHY we have hesitations, instead of having to defend a model that was never built for estimating and QTA's...

david.kingham
2009-03-27, 08:18 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not in the Design-Bid-Build world. What a travesty this industry is. I hope IPD takes off for all of you, while we in Design-Build freely share everything :)

cliff collins
2009-03-27, 08:58 PM
David,

IPD and Design-Build are almost identical. In either delivery method, a solid contractual
agreement for intellectual property sharing in required--if you want to survive.

I'm just advising those who have not seriously considered the contract and implications
of sharing the BIM model to take a hard look, get legal counsel, and THEN move forward--
and openly share and collaborate from napkin sketch all the way thru post construction/lifecyle phases.

cheers.............

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-27, 09:04 PM
David-

Im totally with you, and in the DBB world, when all the collaborating team players are WILLING and WANT to do this the right way, im all for sharing. Heck, i dont think anyone is more of an *information hippie* than i am.

But to just hand something over with no prior discussions, when it can ONLY hurt you, seems like a bad move, in my opinion...

david.kingham
2009-03-27, 09:13 PM
Oh I understand guys, your advice is prudent. I was just making a comment on the state of the industry.