PDA

View Full Version : roof overhang

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-27, 06:15 PM
How can model the roof to look like this? Thanks.

Carlos GT
2009-03-27, 08:25 PM
If I am correct the picture shows 2 roofs, one is a sloped roof and the other one is a hollow core roof. I would approach this creating 3 roofs. The first would be the sloped roof (top chord), the second one would be flat roof (bottom chord); join thes 2 roof and you would have the the main sloped roof. The third roof will be another flat roof, this will represent the hollow core.

Once you get to this point, the rest is just adding detail components like the "hollow core", "bars" and others connectors.

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-27, 08:51 PM
Yes. How would I create roof 2? With a flat roof, than move roof 1 up? Thanks.

Carlos GT
2009-03-29, 01:38 PM
Yes. How would I create roof 2? With a flat roof, than move roof 1 up? Thanks.

Yes. you are exactly right.

Merlin
2009-03-30, 07:03 AM
I would suggest not making the Hollow Core structure a 2nd roof. I'd model it as a ceiling. Create a new ceiling and edit the structure to give it the several layers necessary.
Then model the trussed roof as the only roof.
The wall would be modelled with an exterior veneer layer, but make sure the veneer layer has it's top unlocked (modify vertical structure). The veneer layer can then have the top extend past the top of the studs.

Give that a shot
John Mc
PS....let me know if this was too cryptic, and I'll take you through step by step.

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-30, 01:55 PM
That's how I was looking at it, the hollow core as a ceiling. And the trusses as the actual roof. Is there a way to model it as one roof with the bottom chord extending out like the previous image? Thanks

Merlin
2009-03-31, 04:12 AM
That's how I was looking at it, the hollow core as a ceiling. And the trusses as the actual roof. Is there a way to model it as one roof with the bottom chord extending out like the previous image? Thanks

Ah..remember the mantra "model it as you would build it"!
Keep the ceiling separate.
But if the truss is a prominent structural member, then insert them. Load a truss family in and then array them. Your roof will then need a base offset necessary (obviously the truss forces it to sit above that level)

Bryan Thatcher
2009-03-31, 03:35 PM
I dont have time to work with trusses for this submitall. The two roofs work pretty good for sections and conflict checking in the 'attic'. But it leaves a lot of patchwork to be done in the 3D view to look good. It seems like all roofs might though.

mmiles
2009-03-31, 07:33 PM
For the bottom chord to appear as drawn you could also use the roof soffit tool - just modify the soffit to equal the depth and material needed. I don't think that is technically what is needed, but I think it will graphically get you what you are looking for.

Merlin
2009-04-01, 02:22 AM
I dont have time to work with trusses for this submitall. The two roofs work pretty good for sections and conflict checking in the 'attic'. But it leaves a lot of patchwork to be done in the 3D view to look good. It seems like all roofs might though.

Hmmm....well, even with time being short, I'd still insert a truss family (plenty available free on Revitcity.com), alter the parameters to suit and just array them. Honestly, It'd take less than 5 minutes. It also leaves less mess to clean up by work-arounds