PDA

View Full Version : Combining multiple rooms under a single room tag?

ROBinHI
2009-03-29, 10:45 AM
How do you specify that a room tag also include the rooms closet spaces or an adjacent room that is considered the same room or space?

I can't seem to include the closet spaces for my room which are separated by a wall and door.

Also the color legend doesn't fill the closets with the room color... how do you include these spaces to its intended room?

Scott Womack
2009-03-29, 12:06 PM
You need to split the wall with the clost door on each side (if it is continuous) then unckeck the box on that piece of wall to take off the room bounding properties.

ws
2009-03-29, 01:01 PM
I asked the same sort of question the other day with similar solution if it's of interest:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=98455

It works quite well just so long as you can split the wall horizontally and vertically, otherwise you can disable the wall bounding property for the whole wall(s) and use Room separator lines to create room lines where there were no active walls, but it would get awfully tedious to do many like that.

I managed to split my wall which had contained a large opening between two rooms and then they were merged into one, but that entire wall is removed from the calculation of floor area.

It would be handy if there was a way to edit the automatically generated room lines or add these small but relevant areas, but that seems a long way off.

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-29, 04:42 PM
I use Areas for comprehensive locations such as that, and leave the rooms as they are normally. That way, they can be seperate rooms in the finish schedules, etc.

But i understand a lot of people dont like Area Plans, lol...

ws
2009-03-29, 04:47 PM
thanks, I wondered about using Area plans - I've used them quite a bit for working out overall floor areas but haven't worked out yet if there is any relationship between rooms and area plans?

I had assumed not, but I must go look through my collection of books and cadclip videos...

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-29, 05:02 PM
No, there isnt. Rooms wont report what Area theyre in, and vice versa. But there is another way to do it, i suppose:

Use a color plan, filtered by a new parameter called "Unit Number," instead of Room Name. Then select all the rooms in each "space" and give them the same unit number. Sort another room schedule by THAT parameter, and dont itemize every instance. It should work...

ws
2009-03-29, 06:12 PM
Yes, that sounds promising thanks, I'll give it a try.

Accurate Rooms being important for building performance analysis you might think this would be an area that might get some attention - but I guess it is still early days for that despite the marketing push.

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-29, 06:56 PM
Well, there are a TON of issues surrounding Rooms, Areas, Spaces, and whatever other soace-declaration tools there are. Accurate rooms are tougher and tougher to come by as models get built in more complex fashions. Walls with a base constraint of the level the room is on, even if physically not INSIDE that room, WILL room bound that room. In a lot of entrances, facades, and roof treatments this makes a mess of the room boundaries.

Then there is "how are room boundaries sitting on the walls," issue... In terms of how were calculating SFage. (I suppose this is more of an issue with Areas).

I can think of a few things that would HELP us in this regard, but i cant articulate very well how i think they would work. The ability to schedule and put data to Model Groups would be one way... (Rooms in the group, the Group having a schedule for its room elements, etc... Okay, there are other reasons i want *groups* to be schedulable and taggable and includable elements, but i digress). Rooms being area aware, and areas being room aware would be glorious...

Ill concede not having played too much with Spaces, and in performance analysis, but im going to be jumping in quite soon, so im sure ill be screaming my head off shortly. >:)

ROBinHI
2009-03-29, 08:23 PM
Thank Scott for the solution. Thanks all for the rest of the info for if/when I get into those areas.