PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre window placement issue

Grumple
2009-03-30, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why windows will refuse to be placed in most of the walls in this project file please?!!

It is not my file, I am trying to find why there is a window issue.

I have managed to add a few in the view it will open in, but if you try to add any more windows in the walls they simply won't! The error 'can't create...' is given...

Any help greatly apreciated!!

Thanks

Grumple
2009-03-30, 08:27 AM
Can't attach the damn file... Just keep getting a fatal error!

Will keep trying...

Anyone got any ideas for possible solutions in the mean time???

Thanks

iankids
2009-03-30, 08:31 AM
Hi Jayc,

Have you checked the height of the wall. I once had a similar sort of problem when I was working in a plan view only. I had unwittingly drawn a wall which was only .5m high. In plan view it looked fine, but when ever I tried to place a window (whose sill height was above the top of the wall) it simply wouldn't allow it as there was no wall at the level of the window.

After pulling my hair out for a little bit, I checked the wall in 3d and found my error.

May not relate, but worth the check.

Cheers,

Ian

Grumple
2009-03-30, 08:45 AM
Is there a limit with regards to how thick/deep a wall can be in order to place a window???

I've found that windows will be placed in some walls, just not some of the very thick 650mm walls in the project...

Grumple
2009-03-30, 08:46 AM
Cheers Ian,

The walls are definately tall enough, just maybe too fat! I've not had this problem before though : | I'm sure I've had walls that were thicker and still took a window...

UPDATE: Ok, the window will be placed in the wall upto a limit of 640mm thick. From 640mm+ it gives me the 'can't create type...' error...

The window that won't be placed is: ' Concept - Plain Sgl : '

I've tried placing ALMOST EVERY type of window and they go in any wall...

The only windows that won't go in are the 'Concept' ones... WHY? : |

iankids
2009-03-30, 08:59 AM
Hi Jayc,

I don't know of any limitation with the thickness of the wall. I just did a quick mock up here using a generic wall at 650mm thick and place 5 or 6 different windows (some which I created and others I picked up from elsewhere).

In all instances the windows placed ok in the wall and the wall was cut correctly. A couple of weird things happened to the location of some of the elements within the window (window sashes were no longer sitting in the frame but were closer to the external wall).

Might be worth checking with a very simple window 900x600 fixed or the like.

Cheers,

Ian

Grumple
2009-03-30, 10:30 AM
Seems the 'Concept' windows are full of constraints!

As soon as you try to change the wall thickness, loads of other constraints start to argue and fight... You can get the windows to work by getting rid of the wall depth constraints to the ref planes in the family, but this means that other relationships to the wall faces are lost.

Solution? - Don't use the 'Concept' windows : |

Gadget Man
2009-03-31, 05:25 AM
Seems the 'Concept' windows are full of constraints!

As soon as you try to change the wall thickness, loads of other constraints start to argue and fight... You can get the windows to work by getting rid of the wall depth constraints to the ref planes in the family, but this means that other relationships to the wall faces are lost.

Solution? - Don't use the 'Concept' windows : |

As a rule I NEVER use any ready-made windows or doors - or almost any other family for that matter... I always make my own. At least I can be sure it works and looks exactly like I want.

And it's a brilliant way to learn Revit too...

Merlin
2009-03-31, 06:36 AM
And it's a brilliant way to learn Revit too...

*nods sage-like* Agreed!
Unfortunately there could be a plethora of reasons. If you can't upload the file, try posting .pdf's of the screen and the messages etc.

eddy.lermytte
2009-03-31, 09:18 AM
Jay
Are you talking about the UK Content window "Concept - Plain Sgl Rfa ?
Try this:
Place Dimension & Lock > Ref Plane "Front Sill" - Ref Plane Exterior to keep the front of the Sill in place.