PDA

View Full Version : work during rendering

tklein.208994
2009-03-31, 07:44 PM
Is there any way to continue to work on a project while a rendering is being generated in Revit on the same computer? On the same project?

greg.mcdowell
2009-03-31, 07:52 PM
assuming it's a workshared file you might be able to open a new instance of revit and open another local file (probably need to change your user name) - no idea if it'll work, total WAG

tklein.208994
2009-03-31, 09:05 PM
never know till you ask, eh? It sounded like a bad idea, but it's painful to have a computer locked up in render mode for hours and hours...

SCShell
2009-03-31, 09:11 PM
Hey there,

If you have a 64 bit operating system, and you know that you are not saving the rendering to your project file, and you know that any changes you make to the model have no bearing on the rendering........then make a copy of your project file and then....

Once the rendering is cooking for the copied file, minimize it and open a brand new Revit session. Open your "real" project file and continue working.

Hope that helps.
Steve

swalton240189
2009-03-31, 10:46 PM
I don't think you need 64bit unless it is a large file and you will run out of ram.
Dual or quad cores would help but not necessary.
I think it will use an extra license.
If it is worksetted definitely change the username to something new

niki_funky
2009-04-01, 06:44 AM
One thing you are forgetting is that when Revit is rendering it is using 100% of your CPU power. So your work within another session of Revit will be slow.

mark.98140
2009-04-01, 08:07 AM
One thing you are forgetting is that when Revit is rendering it is using 100% of your CPU power. So your work within another session of Revit will be slow.

actually... not really true.... the rendering speed slows, not so much the second session..use this technique all the time, including right now, no probs.

patricks
2009-04-01, 12:52 PM

Not sure if that's the case for network licensing, but with my single-user license on my machine I have opened 2nd instances of Revit by mistake and never got any errors or anything about license usage.

jcoe
2009-04-01, 01:18 PM

Your computer has a unique identification number. So when registering Revit on your computer, the license, as I understand it, is for that specific computer and computer ID. Therefore you can run multiple sessions of Revit at any given time.

Extra licensing comes into play when you are installing on multiple machines.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-01, 03:04 PM
Virtual Machines will also use an additional license, from what i have heard... But i havent run a setup where i had revit running on "two machines" on one system. I know at AU in the class on VM's they said you would pull down two net licenses in that instance though.

But as others have said, ive run two sessions, one rendering, and one in another instance of the model, working... The only thing it wouldnt let me do was access the view that was rendered, or anything (obviously) edited by the rendering instance (materials)...

mickaeL_renauD
2009-04-01, 05:11 PM
I know at AU in the class on VM's they said you would pull down two net licenses in that instance though...

That is true...