PDA

View Full Version : Wall sweeps and Door Casing

mmiles
2009-03-31, 09:35 PM
See attached:

why does the line indicated print? My baseboard is supposedly less thick than the door casing it runs through. The baseboard is cut by the insert, yet the insert (cased opening) has a nested family placed on the walls to represent finish casings. The casing is either the same thickness as the baseboard, or 1/4" thicker. In either case, the wall sweep does not stop at the nested family extents (which would be nice), but it overlaps the door casing. when I zoom in the overlap lines disappear, but when I print, they display. WHY?

thanks.

aaronrumple
2009-04-01, 01:53 PM
See attached:

why does the line indicated print? My baseboard is supposedly less thick than the door casing it runs through. The baseboard is cut by the insert, yet the insert (cased opening) has a nested family placed on the walls to represent finish casings. The casing is either the same thickness as the baseboard, or 1/4" thicker. In either case, the wall sweep does not stop at the nested family extents (which would be nice), but it overlaps the door casing. when I zoom in the overlap lines disappear, but when I print, they display. WHY?

thanks.

Have you tried printing raster rather than vector? That usually takes care of these sorts of issues. Vector has problems with small offsets and plans separated by small distances.

And wall sweeps blow chuncks for doing base trim. Try using a floor slab edge instead. See attached. They are a lot quicker and simpler to manage. Throw both the floor finish and the trim ina a "Interiors" workset and you have a very simple method for controling visibility.

mmiles
2009-04-01, 02:58 PM
Aaron,

thanks for the tip. Many of the areas in my model do have separate finish floors, so I will look into slab edges. Although, it seems that slab edges work the same wall sweep in practice - which indicates to me the technique may have similar results. I have a sub-category of walls that I set to control visibility.

I see you model the finishes separate from the structural - how does that strategy work for you? What do you show in your sections? Do you join geometry for structural finish and floors? Does each "room" have its own finish floor modeled? If Yes, then are you modeling individual saddles between rooms?

aaronrumple
2009-04-01, 05:47 PM
We're heavy on interior design. So for us all interior floors are shown 1/4" thick and 1/4" off the structural floor. We don't bother joining these in any views and only show them in the floor finish plan view. In all other views the structural floor is shown. Transitions are just done with detail views - not modeled. The base trim is also only shown in interior elevations. Off in other views via the workset. We do place the transition beneath the door just as it would be constructed. I don't do that in my sketch so you could see how splitting a straight line allows you to select where the trim goes in the room.

The wall sweeps fail because is you do a run of wall that spans 3-4 rooms - all the rooms get the wall sweep and you have to do lots of editing to get all the ends to fillet. Also if you have a lot of "fin" walls such as in high end bathrooms - you have to place several sweeps to get the sweep to go around the end of teh wall. With the floor slab edge you can do the whole thing in one tab /click.

It would be nice is ceilings had sweeps so we could do the same thing for cornice trim. However we have done cornice attached to a floor with just a big vertical offset.

patricks
2009-04-01, 08:21 PM
It would also be nice if a floor had an auto function like ceilings do, so you could place your floor finish inside the room in one click.

Mike Sealander
2009-04-02, 11:55 AM
If you want to do hosted wall sweeps, you can pull the sweep back from the door opening so it doesn't interfere with door casing. There's a little blue dot that shows up in elevation. However, I recently switched to the floor slab edge method, and I think I'll stick with it.

tomnewsom
2009-04-02, 12:36 PM
It would also be nice if a floor had an auto function like ceilings do, so you could place your floor finish inside the room in one click.
Place a ceiling, edit it and copy the sketch lines? Not great, but probably quicker than picking all the walls...

mmiles
2009-04-03, 03:47 PM
If you want to do hosted wall sweeps, you can pull the sweep back from the door opening so it doesn't interfere with door casing. There's a little blue dot that shows up in elevation. However, I recently switched to the floor slab edge method, and I think I'll stick with it.

I've determined the blue dot pull back trick, but then I have to make a second wall sweep - which is easy - I was just hoping for a different tip. I've moved on....but thanks for all the ideas. I have better sense of what to do on the next one.

Regarding the floor slab....is it standard for everyone to model two floors - a subfloor, and then a finish material floor?

aaronrumple
2009-04-03, 07:17 PM
Regarding the floor slab....is it standard for everyone to model two floors - a subfloor, and then a finish material floor?

Yep. If you want the quanity takeoff to be spot on.