PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2009 Plugin

epatrick
2009-04-01, 06:09 PM
I work for an A&E firm in Orlando, Florida and have been testing the Revit 2009 Plugin. It looks very promising. Using the Plugin I have successfully translated the business data (graphics) and the parametric intelligents from several different Revit Arch. 2009 models and into Bentley V8i. I have experienced a 100% transfer rate on the business data and close to 100% transfer of the parametric intelligents. In fact based on my research and testing of the Plugin my firm is committed to using Revit on the next USACE project (Bentley V8 model submission required on our USACE projects) and transferring to Bentley as required by contract at certain submission levels.

Note: the Revit 2009 Plugin is free but only available to Bentley SELECT Subscription members.

patricks
2009-04-01, 08:15 PM
soooo.... this is a plugin for Revit, but you have to be on Bentley subscription to get/use it?? Doesn't sound too good for firms who don't use Bentley but has a client requiring Bentley deliverables.

epatrick
2009-04-01, 09:12 PM
I agree, but would add that a firm not using Bentley probably shouldn't have a client that requires a Bentley deliverable.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-01, 10:28 PM
Patrick, you can get the translator with the trial of Bentley, and- live Navisworks- it continues to function after the trial expires...

We also are using Revit for projects requiring Bentley deliverables (both in 2D sheet and 3D model deliverables), and were working through it now...

Norton_cad
2009-04-01, 11:35 PM
Can you please post a copy of the translator program, as I don't want to download/install the Bentley trial version, just to get the plugin?

bcgatti
2009-04-02, 12:50 PM
I've poked all around the Bentley SELECT Subscription site and I have not been able to find any type of plug-in that references Revit. We are a Bentley SELECT Subscription member.

Could you point me towards the correct page or even post the name of this plug-in so I can do a more informed search on that site?

Thanks,

Brett

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-02, 01:27 PM
http://communities.bentley.com/Wiki/view.aspx/Revit_PlugIn

You will want to install Bentley when youre setting up the exporter anyway... At least, thats how i read the instructions. But ive got bentley installed anyway, so any adverse effects i wouldnt have noticed...

bcgatti
2009-04-02, 03:04 PM
Aaron, thanks for the roadmap to the download.

jim.barr
2009-04-03, 03:50 PM
I come in peace... :)

I'm Jim Barr, Director of Product Management for Bentley's BIM products and wanted to provide a couple of comments.

Firstly, the link in the above post will give you access to the Revit Plugin. We've provided the ability to 'publish' the .rvt file without running any Bentley product. (http://communities.bentley.com/Wiki/view.aspx/Revit_PlugIn).

Secondly, we at Bentley have had longer email discussions with epatrick, the original poster above. Let me summarize the points:
The Revit Plugin does not currently support full fidelity translations of intelligent parametric design models between Revit and Bentley Architecture. When epatrick says he had a close to 100% transfer of the parametric intelligence of the Revit model to the Bentley BIM model, we see that as the exception rather than the norm. Let me explain why and what the plugin does and what it does not attempt to do:
• The Revit Plugin will bring the Revit business data (Revit element properties of an object) to the DGN file for all Revit elements.
• Optionally, the Plugin will also attempt to translate certain basic building elements like walls, doors, windows and columns into Bentley BIM forms which then retain some of the original intelligence. For example a door could still be moved within a wall but can no longer be resized.
• Any other Revit geometry like curtain wall systems, stairs, roofs and any other custom Family that is used in a design will be translated as plain geometry with no parametric intelligence whatsoever.

The plugin's output is currently only intended to be used for coordination purposes and Bentley does not endorse the Plugin as a means to translate a Revit Model to a Bentley BIM model for purposes where a Bentley BIM model deliverable is expected. A Bentley BIM model created from the Revit Plugin WILL NOT nearly have the same intelligence as if the model was originally modeled in Bentley’s BIM applications.

I do hope this helps, and either myself (jim.barr@bentley.com) or Ralph Schopen (ralph.schopen@bentley.com) would be happy to answer more questions.

Best regards,

Jim

bbeck
2009-04-03, 03:58 PM
WOW! thanks for crossing the DMZ and posting here Jim. Myself, and I'm sure others, here on AUGI appreciate the comments and the open invitation to have questions answered with regards to cross platform collaboration.

epatrick
2009-04-03, 07:58 PM
Let me explain what I meant by my statement "close to 100% transfer of the parametric intelligent". It has been my experience that when a model is exported from Revit and into Bentley V8 using just the IFC export/import feature all the objects have very generic descriptions for example what was a “Round Table – 36 Diameter” in Revit is now a “I-FURN” in Bentley. But when a model is exported from Revit and into Bentley using the Revit Plugin most of the objects retain their original Revit identification. For example a “Carrier 39M air handling - Fan” is still exactly that. And the “Round Table – 36 Diameter” retained its identity.
So in my simple way of thinking the objects retained their intelligents. I guess I should have described the objects as having retained their identity. I apologize for any confusion this might have caused.
I would like to add that the online help at Bentley.com is extremely good and that Ralph Schopen of Bentley is exceptionally sharp and he was able to answer all my questions about the Plugin without lengthy delays.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-03, 09:06 PM
Jim,

Thank you very much for chiming in. Ive been over on the Bentley forums working with a few engineers in Bentley, as we are proceeding with IFC collaboration for clash detection and documentation.

This DGN exporter does such in a fashion just like the native DWG exporter and the PDF plotter. It creates a file format friendly BACKGROUND to be used to visualize and work on top of. It cannot be expected to be fully manipulated in another piece of software. Even through IFC that doesnt happen, and IFC *is* supposed to be the interoperable format.

But again, kudos to you Jim, for coming around and explaining. Thanks again. Ill be emailing you. :)

cphubb
2009-04-16, 03:07 PM
Jim,

I have tried the link above and been unable to get to the actual download. Has anybody else been able to get to the download?

Jim I sent you an email last week to see about getting the plugin and no response. Any way I can get ahold of that plugin?