PDA

View Full Version : STAIRS - HELP!!

clarkmorgan
2009-04-01, 10:11 PM
I cannot figure out how to get Revit Arch to build the stair in the attatched photo. I'm in a time crunch so I defaulted to slabs but I need to come back and make it represent a monolithic stair case. Am I missing something in the stair tool??

cporter.207875
2009-04-01, 10:23 PM
I'm not even sure I know where to begin with this one. I would probably use the massing tool for something like this, but you might be able to get the stair tool to work. The trick would be getting the boundary and risers just right, and I am not sure how to accomplish that with the bi-directional aspect halfway up the run.

I am interested to see if someone else knows how to do this.

Joef
2009-04-02, 12:03 AM
First off you are going to have to build 2 sets of stairs; one for each direction. Build the stairs using boundary and draw an arc for the top riser and offset it however many times you need. It looks like you have sloping surface intersecting the bottom step, so just cut out whatever you are using (ramp? floor? topo?) where the surface intersects the stairs. Leave the steps underneath that surface and don't tell anyone they are there. :-)
If this doesn't work I would give up with the stairs and just extrude something.

Norton_cad
2009-04-02, 03:02 AM
Sort of like this...

tomnewsom
2009-04-02, 10:00 AM
I reckon this stair can be done as one object. Bear with me while I try it out.

Yes, it's totally possible. Here's how I did it.

1: Mark out all the boundaries and risers in detail lines beforehand. Doesn't have to be neatly trimmed or anything, just make sure there's a snap point and a curved line everywhere you need them.

2: Start the stair. You're going to sketch the whole thing - no Runs. Start one boundary line - use the Draw tool, not the Pick tool. Do not quit out of the draw tool at any time! So draw the first line, then change to arc, draw the arc, then change to line, draw the line and so on. In my experience this is the only way to avoid the "Stairs need two continuous boundaries" error. Now draw the other boundary.

3: Draw the risers. This is much easier. You can use the pick tool and shift stuff around, the Stair tool is not fussy about risers :)

4: Finish!

The trick is knowing where to draw the boundaries. There has to be a single riser spanning between their end points. See attached for how I achieved this for your stair.

Caveat: Risers do not play nicely, hence the solid-block treads in this model. Ther's always something >_<

cporter.207875
2009-04-02, 01:55 PM
Nice job, tomnewsom!

Joef
2009-04-02, 02:05 PM
Nice work Tom. There are a lot of different ways to do stuff in Revit. It really pays off to hang around here and see how other people handle problems.

eric.piotrowicz
2009-04-02, 02:07 PM
tomnewsom you are amazing!

tomnewsom
2009-04-06, 04:55 PM
tomnewsom you are amazing!
That's going on my CV :):)